Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question on rear brake shoes

ngrome

It's been almost 10 years since I've done a rear brake job (shoes, drum, springs, etc.) on one of my other cars, and about to do one on my 94 Celica.  Stupid question but I have to ask because I don't remember, but is the emergency brake cable attached to only one of the rear brakes or both sides?  If only on one side, is it the driver side or passenger side?  Because when I'm looking for replacement brake shoes, is the side with the emergency brake have different shoes from the side which doesn't attach to the emergency brake?  I'm confused because Autozone is selling rear brake shoes, but they're also selling parking brake shoes, aren't they one and the same?

My UK 1995 Celica gt4 has disks at the rear and parking brake inside both rear hubs.

Have a look at this site and type in your VIN number (on the bulkhead in my gt4) and it will give you a parts breakdown.
http://www.japan-parts.eu/

I just looked at the AT200 that appears to have drums at the back with parking brake both sides. 
The ST202 and 205 have disks at the rear and parking brake (drum) in the hubs at the rear. 

• Like 1

I saw this post and was going to add my own post with links and diagrams, but since a link has already been provided, I will just answer the following.

The hand brake cable from the handle, goes a short distance to an equalizer bar under the car. Then two much longer cables go to each drum. CELICA |  PARKING BRAKE CABLE

The cables hook on to levers inside the drums

CELICA |  PARKING BRAKE CABLE

The drum system is no different to brakes I have seen and worked on other makes. It shouldn't be too difficult and I am a DIY mechanic.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the responses and the info, including the diagram.  I do have drums in the back (94 Celica ST), and just finished the job.  Like I said it was 10 years ago I've done a similar job with my 95 Saturn, and in both now and then, it was a PITA, lol.  I also had the aid of Youtube videos but one thing I forgot on the first side I worked on was to attach the bottom springs first which hold together the bottom of the shoes (46550E) in diagram after I had everything together, as it was a pain to stretch, so I took it all apart again and re-attached everything in the correct order.  The second side was much quicker.  I hope I'm good for awhile now, as my drums were still in relatively good shape with a little normal surface rust, but I hope that back brake dust plate holds up for a few more years, i did spray it with anti corrosion spray both in and out (both sides), as the dust covers up front (for front brakes) didn't, I just ripped them out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links