Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Software update process

Willss

Took my 2017 avensis in as there is a delay when pressing buttons on the screen/steering wheel to change radio volume etc.  Also car can take 15mins plus to pair with phones (auris we have takes a few seconds with same phones).  Was told a software update would likely solve the problem as my 2017 software is 'old version'.  Car had been booked in for the day (other things to potentially look at) but was sent away as update had to be 'ordered in'.

Could someone who works in a garage confirm if software updates actually have to be physically ordered?  Surely as a main dealer they'd have access to all updates on a computer and just plug it in to the car and press 'update'!  Or am I being very naive?!!!!

I had mine updated, never saw a line item in the bill for the software, only labour. AFAIK Toyota updates are downloaded not delivered. Just for a laugh I went to Toyota-tech.eu and downloaded one for my car. You only need the vin, no charge.

4 hours ago, Duggerz said:

I had mine updated, never saw a line item in the bill for the software, only labour. AFAIK Toyota updates are downloaded not delivered. Just for a laugh I went to Toyota-tech.eu and downloaded one for my car. You only need the vin, no charge.

Did the dealership do the update on the day or had you booked it in?

I made an appointment. They have to assign an engineer who knows the procedure.

13 hours ago, Willss said:

Could someone who works in a garage confirm if software updates actually have to be physically ordered?  Surely as a main dealer they'd have access to all updates on a computer and just plug it in to the car and press 'update'!  Or am I being very naive?!!!!

Touch 2 with Go? afaik there are 2 ways of doing it - they can order a physical USB memory stick or they can download it from Toyota & then copy that to an USB memory stick. Either way requires an unique activation code for the head unit.

10 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Touch 2 with Go? afaik there are 2 ways of doing it - they can order a physical USB memory stick or they can download it from Toyota & then copy that to an USB memory stick. Either way requires an unique activation code for the head unit.

Thanks, was just curious as to whether they wanted me out of their way that day (despite my car being booked in all day) as they had too much work on or......... whether they did actually need to do more than just plug it in to a machine.  Would appear that there may have been more to it so I'll let them off asking me to come back (although that was over 2 weeks ago and they said they'd call when it was in - I'll chase them tomorrow)!

I have a 2016 Excel.  I have been able to download  Touch 2 with Go  updates twice from the "my toyota" site. See http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-touch-2-how-to-update-your-maps-and-software . My car came with free 3 year updates but earlier cars may not, so you might need to pay.  Update process takes about 50 minutes.  Latest version is Spring 2018.  What version is installed in your car? 

or as Ian said you can actually do this yourself. I think that Willss car will have come with 3 year Mapcare.

You can cut down the update time by only selecting the countries that you will actually travel in & you have to have the engine running during the update (otherwise the head unit would shut down mid-update due to the Battery protection timeout potentially resulting in a corrupted system).

Without checking I can't recall what version it is but I know it was a 2017 'something or other'.  they did say they'd update my maps for me at the same time which is good as I was going to do that myself.  

I'm sure I could do the updating if I had a play around but the whole system is so slow (phone never links sometimes) I wanted to record it as a warranty issue.  Thanks for your replies.

Version numbers of the software in my Avensis are shown below.  I definitely do not have the slow response problem that you are experiencing. I suggest you compare yours.  If they are the same it probably indicates a hardware problem. If different, the first step is to update.  IAN H

20181008_115333.jpg

20181008_115344.jpg

• 2 months later...

Evening all, my head unit has a few times cut out and restarted. So decided to take a look and is what has led me here, I have a 64 plate D4D. When checking my software version its 000000? But I do have a device ID.

When I go into my Toyota it does not see the software version, which is 4.3.0L and a map id 2014 v2

Not sure what to do, so if you have a min TIA

Hi Mark, welcome to TOC 🙂

this could be your issue 

• 1 year later...

My Toyota avensis had the same problem when I tried to do a software update. I hocked up the computer to my laptop It fixed the problem fast and was easy to use. I installed a free driver software windows and it fixed really fast. I had no problems after the update. It updated the software without any problems. It keeps the computer updated, if something comes up, I connect it to my laptop and I see everything, it updates automatically everything. This software is awesome, plus it fixed all my problems that I had with this computer. 

6 minutes ago, KarenAllanoo9 said:

I took my car to the dealer and they said that it is out of warranty... It is a 2017 Avensis 

As your profile shows you are not in the UK, presumably your Avensis will have the 3 year/100,000km new car warranty. 

Your profile also shows you have a 2013 Camry?