Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is there a service interval for the timing chain tensioner?

onnaj

Hi,

I thought I had a front oil seal leakage on my 2003 Corolla 3zzfe. When I removed the crank pulley it seems to be completely dry around the seal, but for that 3 bucks for the seal I replaced it anyway.

But after even better inspection I think the leakage is coming from the timing belt tensioner. I know this I very common on all zzfe engines and replacing the o-ring or liquid gasket will cover this. I'm wondering though if the timing chain tensioner had a service interval. They're not that expensive, around $30 (€25) so I'm thinking of buying a completely new one. Or is it better to leave the old one on the old chain and only change it when changing the chain?
Car has done 130k miles (210k km) and has no rattling noise and on oil usage of about 1l on 4300 miles (7000 km) or so.

Thanks

20181005_114512.jpg

20181005_134628.jpg

Hi,

Interesting question,  but not seen any info on servicing or checking the tensioners function, is it spring loaded  ?

As for the whole timing chain assembly, again not seen any clear info on checking it, short of a full strip down, see the Haynes Service manual.

As to replacing the tensioner by itself, unless proven faulty, I would say a waste of time as generally the wear will be within the chain and the chains slipper and damper guides etc, looks like it comes as part of a timing chain kit that several suppliers make.

Your oil use seems a little high, perhaps down to the oil leaks ?  I'm getting 10k miles per .75ltr , currently on 110k miles.

001133.jpg

Hi,

It seems to be very easy to just change the tensioner and it's only a $30 part.

For a 3zz the oil usage is really low. A lot of them tend to use a lot of oil, so I'm really happy with that 😉

6 minutes ago, onnaj said:

Hi,

It seems to be very easy to just change the tensioner and it's only a $30 part.

But why  ??      is it a known problem  ?  never heard of it in the forum or elsewhere ??

Hi, I changed the o ring on my chain tensioner and cautiously put a skinny bead of trv round the flange. Now it seems to be leaking from the bottom bolt as top bolt no longer soaks.

It seems to collect drip just below the tensioner (red arrow in the picture) and lands rught on the drive shaft and you what happens next....

I'll try a larger bead of trv when I get some time.

20181007_210828.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links