Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick help needed: Buying a used 2015 Yaris Hybrid. What to look for?

Nicolai

Helping ex wife buying her first car in Denmark.

Local dealer has a used, white October 2015 Yaris Hybrid with 26,000 miles on the clock. All services been done at Toyota. 6 months used car warranty. Test drive was good. Didn't notice anything bad.

Checking a thread here in the Yaris forum, corrosion seems a common problem? (reversing camera, tailgate).

Anything else to check for?

First time to buy used,

Thanks,

Hi, We put my wife's 2015 away for a new one about 6 months ago and got around £10k for it. There were no niggles or problems with it. I'd expect 12 months warranty on it though. If you bought it in UK you'd still have the 2 years remaining of the Toyota 5 year warranty. I don't know if that applies throughout Europe though.

Sadly, it does not. 6 months of warranty on a used car seems normal in Denmark.

The five year/100,000 mile new car warranty is UK only. The rest of Europe get the standard three year/100,000km new car warranty.

Purchased today. Has some typical "Yaris tailgate / reversing camera corrossion" which will be fixed and repainted under warranty. Other than that, should make for a great little car for her. Thanks.

Another (Japanese) joins the club that is Toyota motoring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting about the corrosion. I seem to be lucky so far! Is it the solid white? Mine is the Glacier Pearl and so far seems to be fine. Note that I only ever hand wash my car and never use a pressure washer.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the official name of the colour. This is the car.

I have 64 reg Yaris Hybrid and have not seen any signed of corrosion in the reversing camera area, the only thing I was concerned with was scores on the rear discs, which I got checked at the local stealer and they put it on the brake test and it came back OK.

Other than that my wife and I love the car. In fact it had 23338 miles when we got it in Aug 2017 and at now has 41k on the odometer. Other than usual service and MOT and replace rear discs and pads, no problems.

The dealer seemed very open and trustworthy. My ex wife signed the sales contract and on our way out, I decided to check if I could see any  any corrosion on the car. Naturally the brake discs had a little on them (so does my Auris Hybrid) and a few, very minor stone chips in the bonnet have turned yellow from the surface corrosion. Besides that, the only thing I noted was the tail gate. We went back into the dealership and contacted the seller again. He took his colleague with him who is in charge of warranty claims. The minute he saw the corrosion on the tailgate, he said: "Ah, yes - that's a classic Yaris weakness. We've fixed many of those under warranty. No worries, we'll get on it right away and you can pickup the car in two weeks as originally agreed".

So, it seems they are on top of things. Can't remember if he said the tailgate will be completely replaced or the existing one will be fixed and repainted.

Car has been serviced as pr. Toyota's recommendations, however, we couldn't find the service manual, so the seller agreed to print copies of each service (the car was serviced by them from when it was new).

I THINK this is all pretty promissing, however, I can't help wonder if I should now worry about the rest of the car having unidentified corrossion problems. From new (i.e. 2015) the car was not given an undercoating but will be given a full one (the best) before my ex picks up the car in 2 weeks.

Sorry for all these questions but I have never bought a used car before and, allbeit, I'm not the one buying, I tried to help her out as best as I could and would feel sort of guilty if something comes up that we should have noticed before signing the contract. I was the one who spotted the tailgate issue though. She didn't know about that weakness and the only reason I did was because of this forum. So thanks for that.

I guess if anything does show, there still 9 years left of the  anti-corrosion and perforation warranty to fall back on.

Edit: Just mailed the dealer: Solid white paint. Tailgate fixed and repainted - not replaced.

I would add a good sealant, over the New paint work to protect against rust.

Sealant meaning a professional, expensive vers. Or would a smoothing of the tailgate with good DIY products be good as well?

2 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Sealant meaning a professional, expensive vers. Or would a smoothing of the tailgate with good DIY products be good as well?

Something like Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection would do - https://autoglym.com/extra-gloss-protection

• Like 1

Thanks. To my knowledge, that product is not available in Denmark, however, we do have similar products available such as Sonax or Turtlewax.

What do you think about the buying process of the car based on my description?

I had no problem with the Poorboy sealant, ex-p and can be used in the sun. Make sure you get it in deep into the edges because that is where the rust will start. You will not need a polish on new paint. You should use the sealant all over the car. Than when it does get dirty after a few months all you need to do is rinse it with water, do not use shampoo! And it will be like it was.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?552999200&0&cc5_808&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxvbdBRC0ARIsAKmec9ZQ_RRWUNqNphuQ7EOcCswmQcEtzYB3mbQXRo-WYoKFJv8JMawQ9DkaAvAaEALw_wcB

" Car has been serviced as pr. Toyota's recommendations, however, we couldn't find the service manual, so the seller agreed to print copies of each service (the car was serviced by them from when it was new). "

No sure if this is available in DK but the My Toyota app/website  allows you to see your vehicle service details, I know this as our car had no service book and was told when I picked it up that everything is shown on this website.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, m456an said:

I had no problem with the Poorboy sealant, ex-p and can be used in the sun. Make sure you get it in deep into the edges because that is where the rust will start. You will not need a polish on new paint. You should use the sealant all over the car. Than when it does get dirty after a few months all you need to do is rinse it with water, do not use shampoo! And it will be like it was.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?552999200&0&cc5_808&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxvbdBRC0ARIsAKmec9ZQ_RRWUNqNphuQ7EOcCswmQcEtzYB3mbQXRo-WYoKFJv8JMawQ9DkaAvAaEALw_wcB

Sounds good. How much would one need for a complete treatment of the car?

In general, when repair professionally by Toyota, the rust shouldn't be a problem in the future right? This is all "better safe than sorry"?

The trouble is where the rust is you cant get to it unless you remove the camera as the gap is too small even for a paint brush and on darker colours you will need a torch to see it properly actually inside the rear trim around the camera. Its easy to see the rust underneath the camera but check inside too.

As the tsilgate will be fixed and repainted professionally by the dealer, I'm pretty sure that they remove the camera. They said they would remove the "tailgate handle bar" (what's the English word?) and I'm pretty sure they will remove the camera in the process as well. But will check / ask. Thanks.

Besides that, I think it's a fine little car. 😀

You need very little it is a fine layering. Maybe some car wax around the camera, than the sealant. That may be better protection, though it will do no harm to the car. Better safe than sorry.

Our 2013 hybrid has no signs of corrosion. Lives outside and exposed to the elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

She took delivery last monday. Tail gate looks good but will keep an eye out. Another one (and a Japanese at that) joins the HSD family. Thanks for your help.