Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fan belt problem?

Webster1963

Hi, I'm new to this, so hope someone can help. I have a Toyota Auris TR, petrol, semi automatic. It feels like it's driving okay but I'm hearing a coinstant tapping noise and an occasional (every few hundred yards) screeching noise that sounds like a slipping fanbelt but I don't even know if the car actually has a fanbelt. I got this a mile away from home yesterday and don't wish to risk driving it at the moment. Apart from the noise it feels okay- accelerated fine up my hill. The car always has "check engine" on the dash since I was last low on oil and filled it up so no clues there. Any clues anyone? Thanks.

Try switching on some electrics which use lots of power - like the headlights, rear demister and the heater fan - and see if the noise gets worse.

Moved to the Auris club.

Thanks, would that suggest an alternator problem? 

If the screeching gets worse it suggests a belt problem, but could also be a siezed pulley or something.

ok thanks a bunch. I need to use the car on Friday so I'll try risking it then . Thanks again 

The Auris petrol is quite unusual amongst modern cars in that the belt tension is manually adjusted. Most recent cars ( and even most earlier Toyotas) have a spring loaded automatic tensioner which takes up any slack in the belt automatically. On the Auris the tension needs to checked and adjusted manually from time to time. If the belt is slightly slack it will slip and squeal, particularly when first started in cold/damp weather. It's quite a quick and simple job to adjust the belt tension but if the belt has been slipping badly for a while the belt itself may be damaged and it may be an idea to replace the belt. The belts are not expensive and are quite easy to replace.

Here's the diagram for replacement on 1.6 2007 Auris, in case you decide to do it in the future.

As there is no automatic tensioner as mentioned above, it's a rather simple procedure.

Did the problem started recently with foggy and damp morning? Doe the problem occur later during the day when it's warmer, or after the car has been driven for a bit?

I probably know what sound you are thinking of and it's probably moisture + old belt, but you can drive on it just fine, do get it replaced within 1 year.

The sound should go away in 2-3 minutes.

image.thumb.png.81da5eed687ae0d62121f40c917a68b5.png

Wow thanks, great advice and calming (I'm on benefits at the mo' and on the verge of selling my house - after which I'll be financially ok, meanwhile money's tight) . It happened first on a warm afternoon on the way home, about a mile from home, 4 or 5 screeches. I haven't used it since but need it Friday. But thanks a lot everyone