Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm working?

DeTomato

How do I test the standard Corolla car alarm and immobilizer is actually working on a 2003 Corolla petrol 1.8 VVTL-I ? It's a question I've not been able to answer... There are no manuals for my model.

The alarm has never gone off so I don't know if it is actually working!

There is a flashing Security Dashboard light in the centre (as pictured) which works when the car central locked with the remote. There is a passive sensor (mode) which should be on etc, but if the car is locked remotely I can't test by opening a door, boot or the bonnet etc. 

See the problem? What do I need to do to hear the alarm is actually working?

Corolla-Security-1.JPG

Lock the car using the remote, then unlock using the key.  The alarm should sound when you open the door, and stop when you turn the ignition on or unlock using fob.

• Like 1

You can always kick the tires if it's locked with remote 🙂

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try now. I did the tyre kicking already 😁

4 hours ago, alan333 said:

Lock the car using the remote, then unlock using the key.  The alarm should sound when you open the door, and stop when you turn the ignition on or unlock using fob.

I locked the car with the remote and allowed time for the alarm to set (like 5 mins or so). Then I unlocked with the key as advised. The security light does flash, and the indicator lights do all the flashing too. But there is no alarm sound. The Alarm did not go off.

So is there something that should be connected up in the car somewhere? Anyone know where to look?

Does the alarm have an internal Battery that fails perhaps?

Is there a relay for the alarm somewhere?

-> Need some help now identifying where to look because there's no Haynes manual or any other manual with these T-Sport models. Thanks.

As far as I'm aware the Corolla didn't have an alarm as standard - just an immobiliser. When I ordered my 2006 Corolla, the alarm was optional and I had one fitted before delivery. I've also just checked the 2006 brochure, and no mention of an alarm in the specs for any grade.

• Like 1

Ah many thanks Mike, that's interesting - yikes... so if I want to check whether there is a standard Alarm unit installed or not, where would I look to find the Alarm box unit? Is it behind the dash or in the boot somewhere? 

Can you try locking the car with a window down then open the car from the inside to see if it goes off? For me personally if I unlock the car on the fob then lock the car on the key the alarm is not armed, or if I just lock and unlock on the key it's the same again not armed. If I only unlock/lock on the fob then the alarm is definitely armed, the security light goes solid red for about 5 seconds then goes back to flashing. I thought all T-Sports came with a factory alarm setup? Have you changed the fob Battery as I think there is a reset process for that?

Thanks Kenny. I will give what you suggest a try right now... I'll check the 5 second solid red on setting with the Remote key fob as you've suggested.

Also, I found this link but it doesn't seem to indicate if the Corolla alarm is standard on the T-Sport or an extra option.

https://thatchamfitters.co.uk/car/cars-with-factory-fitted-thatcham-security/toyota.htm

Result is, I can remotely set but there is no alarm. So I checked from inside the car and locked it with the remote. I can then open it from inside and the alarm does not go off, and this is the same through an open windows also.

So I tried the second key and it is exactly the same. Neither key seems to be setting the alarm.

Also, the Security light on the dash does not remain on for 5 seconds when locking with either remote fob - I recall it used to do this now, but it doesn't anymore...

Net result is the alarm is not working when the doors etc are locked from both remote key fobs. How this has happened I've no idea.

Is there a key re-learn or alarm reset process?

Check the door light switch's and the wiring going to them. This might be a issue. I had the same problem on my T Sport.

Andy

• Like 1

Bear in mind the immobiliser would have an LED to indicate that is operating - an LED doesn't signify the car has an alarm. 

• Like 1

^^^ This is correct. I had to disconnect my alarm until i sorted the issues as it kept going off at night. The immobiliser light continued to work while the alarm was disconnected.

Andy.

• Like 1

I did check all the other bits in the doors etc, and they are good. And the alarm has worked in the past...

The Security LED is flashing for immobiliser working, but it does not stay lit for 5 seconds when locking with the remote key fob. This seems to indicate that both the keys are not programmed to the alarm? The horn does work, but it's not sounding with an alarm intrusion as I've tested today.

Where is the alarm unit connected - perhaps disconnected? Is there a process to get just the alarm working again?

On the UK car the alarm control unit is under the dash, just to the right hand side of the steering column. Its easy to get to. I have not had to deal with key coding or the immobiliser, so i can't help there.

Andy.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So I managed to fix my alarm!

The last 75 point check the Toyota dealer did, they must have reset the bonnet height. I altered the rubber stops and the bonnet switch operates correctly again underneath the bonnet so the alarm sets correctly.

You can tell it is working because it goes off obviously, but it also makes the dash alarm indicator light stay on for 15 seconds whilst it sets properly and then starts dimly flashing.