Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1KR-FE 2014+ in 2005+

gXX

Engine dead = needs replacement in my little 2007 Aygo.

When I do some research, I notice the 2014+ is EU5 classed vs EU4 on the 2005+, that means lower fuel consumption.

Can I throw in a 2014 1KR-FE engine in my 2007 and just go, or is there some other stuff that needs to follow, like ECU or something? On pictures they look very much the same.

PLUS, since those little 998cc engines seems to hold up for like 60k - it's easier to find a low mileage 2014+ engine.

The OE number differs a bit, 19000-0Q011 for the 2005+ and 19000-0Q060 for the 2014+

If I was in your position I would buy the 2014 engine, if it came out of a mk1 model and then fit you organised inlet manifold and any sensors that look different on the new engine 👍🏻

Yea, I think so as well. The ECU is VERY different though:

89661-0H022 on 2005+ vs 89661-0H390 on 2014+

022.PNG.784aae7da8b85d109ee55791ddbe6a02.PNG <-- 2005+

390.thumb.PNG.8fd3aaa57ba899dfcf4ee2c6fe44e9e5.PNG <-- 2014+

The pinout is not even nearly the same. So the new ECU is not P&P.

The block and head looks identical visually, and I think it's compatible if you have the 1KR-B52M or 1KR-B52V engine (Electronic throttle) wich I have.

I'd rather want be sure about this though. Since the computer is pretty different, i'm afraid blowing up another engine 😞

I've had another round on this one.

2005-2008 seems to be the first gen 1KR

2009-2013 is the second gen

2014+ is the "third gen".

And 2005-2013 seems to be interchangable. So I'll probably order a 2011 one i found with 350 000kms on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking to myself here, but think I should give an update anyway in case someone finds this thread on google or something.

I bought a 1KR-FE with 33 000kms from a 2010 aygo. I wanted a 2009+ since some improvements were done to it.

All sensors matched right up. The only thing that I didn't get to fit was a bolt between the gearbox and the engine, it was probably changed to a smaller one on the new engine. I'm not worried though, it's being hold together with 4 large bolts + 2 smaller from the starter motor.

• Like 1

Good morning, Anders.

I have seen suggestions that you need to match both the ecu and the engine wiring loom to the engine.

Did you use the ecu and loom that was in your car or one that came with the replacement engine?

Stefan

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2018 at 9:37 AM, StefanD said:

Good morning, Anders.

I have seen suggestions that you need to match both the ecu and the engine wiring loom to the engine.

Did you use the ecu and loom that was in your car or one that came with the replacement engine?

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I have no idea why someone would suggest that. The engine is straight mechanical with regular sensors on it (pressure, temperature, cam location, etc). Can't see anywhere that the engine in any way would be programmed to the ECU. I don't take responsibility though 🙂

So I just used everything already in the car. Will post a video soon.