Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wipers not working

Taxi501

Car is a 2012 t Spirit 2.0d4d with 165000 miles done. Wipers will only work on high speed, no auto function, intermittent or slow (normal)speed and don’t “park” when turned off, any ideas as to the fault? Thinking maybe the relay, I think the rain sensor should be ok as the auto headlights work ok

3 hours ago, Taxi501 said:

,I think the rain sensor should be ok as the auto headlights work ok

iirc these are 2 different sensors

52 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

iirc these are 2 different sensors

I haven’t taken anything apart yet but I did see somewhere that if the sensor is disconnected then the auto headlights don’t work but the normal intermittent works , hopefully I’ll get at it over the next week or so 

again iirc the light sensor is on the dashboard but the rain sensor is on the back of the mirror (or it may be the other way around).

23 hours ago, Taxi501 said:

I haven’t taken anything apart yet but I did see somewhere that if the sensor is disconnected then the auto headlights don’t work but the normal intermittent works , hopefully I’ll get at it over the next week or so 

You are correct. Disconnecting the wiring behind the mirror cowling stops the annoying rain senor wiper function and the auto headlights. 

I don't have a wiring diagram for the Gen 3 but most often these days the 2 speed and park are fine through the relay. If look at that first, check the connections maybe reseat it and go from there. If you can get pinouts for the motor and relay you might be able to do some testing with a multimeter.

Thanks for the replies, I’ve a neighbor who has a 2009 model who might let me swap a few bits to see what works, unfortunately he’s away for a few days 

So, as it’s my daughters car now (my old one) I got a look at it today, checked all the fuses etc all ok but her description of the problem was slightly wrong. The wipers do work on the normal and high speed but don’t work on intermittent or self cancel park, I tried disconnecting the rain sensor but that made no difference so my thoughts are that the relay is the problem, local dealer gave a price of €167 + vat !!

he hasn’t sold any so I’m not sure if it’s a common problem, has anyone here had similar problems with the relay 

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Just wondering if you got a solution for this? I have the same problem with my Avensis Estate (2013). I’ve tried changing the wiper stalk but that didn’t work. I unplugged the sensors behind the rear view mirror but no joy with that either. 

Appreciate any guidance. 

On 3/2/2019 at 9:11 PM, Corrib said:

Hi,

Just wondering if you got a solution for this? I have the same problem with my Avensis Estate (2013). I’ve tried changing the wiper stalk but that didn’t work. I unplugged the sensors behind the rear view mirror but no joy with that either. 

Appreciate any guidance. 

Haven’t got near it since, in fact I’d forgotten about the wiper fault till your post. 

Thanks for updating John. I guess I'll have to keep searching for a solution. Mine is due its NCT in June and it won't pass with this fault. 

Appreciate suggestions from anyone. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 8:45 AM, Corrib said:

Thanks for updating John. I guess I'll have to keep searching for a solution. Mine is due its NCT in June and it won't pass with this fault. 

Appreciate suggestions from anyone. 

It seems that without any further attempt at repair it seems to be fixed, or at least to have returned to normal, the only thing I can think of is that about a month ago I had to remove the small right hand glovebox to retrieve a lost parking permit, while reaching in through the wiring to the relays there I would have disturbed the wiring to the wiper relay, unfortunately I don’t remember if I had to disconnect them or not. It might help you fix your fault if you were to try disconnect the relay and check the wiring.

• 3 months later...

Update:

• Problem = wiper relay
  • Location = behind small coin holder (drivers side)
  • Solution = replaced with one from scrap yard 
  • Current situation = working fine and NCT (MOT) next week so all good 😀
  • Like 1

Hi

My auto sensor wipers aren’t working correctly too, just sometimes and when am idling at lights in traffic it’s picking up the rain on the windscreen from the car in fronts tail lights. I have to manually turn the wipers on for intermittent wiping. Normal continuous speed wipers work ok.

The auto lights seem to work ok, are they 2 different sensors?

Have read if disconnect auto sensor the light s won’t work??

3 hours ago, BigGavensisd4d said:

The auto lights seem to work ok, are they 2 different sensors?

afaik, yes. Lights is on dash, rain is part of mirror housing.

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

afaik, yes. Lights is on dash, rain is part of mirror housing.

Thanks!! 

After reading of similar problems on this great forum have disconnected the wired plug sensor next to the mirror, so will revert to old style intermittent wipers saving me hassle of manually turning the wipers on n off!!

cant see where the auto lights sensor is unless it’s the same sensor??

I believe it is the little round lump slightly left of centre here on my 2007 T25.

IMG_20190626_213042.jpg

50 minutes ago, paul9 said:

I believe it is the little round lump slightly left of centre here on my 2007 T25.

IMG_20190626_213042.jpg

Thanks!! Will have look again on my 2012 D4D

think that it is on the left of the equivalent vent on T27

On 6/27/2019 at 2:14 AM, Heidfirst said:

think that it is on the left of the equivalent vent on T27

Yes thanks been located now thanks v much!! At least have got normal wipers now!!

• 3 years later...

Hi I've read all the comments about this problem with intermittent wipers and wipers won't go to park position, I have same problem with my avensis 2017 eastate, has anyone found a solution for this problem or should I buy new wiper motor