Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this blue/white smoke normal?

Archie0979

First off I have only just got the car. It is the 2.2 D-4 engine, I was told they are bomb proof, is this true lol? I know there is an oil leak although not sure where it is coming from and it is going in tomorrow to get looked at. When I first got the car there was no issue with smoking but I have had problems starting the car so I changed the Battery as I noticed the one in was lower than the recommended specs (640 cca changed to 700 cca). I also noticed that upon a cold start it was only wanting to idle at 800rpm so I checked the MAF and it was covered in carbon build up. I cleaned it with electrical cleaner and now the car seems to start first time and idles at a higher rpm until warmed up. I have also put in some Wynns diesel system cleaner. Since all of this has been done I have noticed that on two occasions when the car had been idling for a wee period I had a light blue/white smoke , his immediately clears when I set off and drive normal. If I start the car and drive off immediately I don't get any smoke it only happens when left for prolonged idling and will clear if I press the accelerator for a few seconds . Is this normal and just caused by prolonged idling and unburnt fuel and also the system cleaner is doing its job and cleaning out the system? 

Hey,

2.2 D4D engines weren't bad by any means but early production models (think pre-2008) had issues with head gaskets. Some will say that it was only 3% or so of engines that were affected but I've talked with Toyota dealership employees at the time and they said every other car they sold got a new engine put in due to the gasket blowing up. Take that for what you will.

Now blueish smoke could mean oil but it also could mean coolant. My two guesses would be either idle control valve leaking which would explain smoking only at idle or maybe the turbo is going, leaking oil when no boost is present.

Also did you buy the car privately or from a dealer/shop? If it's the latter then you're protected under some fancy UK law so they're either obliged to fix it at no cost or terminate the deal. I know frosty is usually linking to the consumer protection law.

I bought it privately. There are no signs that the head gasket is gone. Both coolant and oil caps look as they should and perfectly clean. I definitely have an oil leak as when it is raining there is a rainbow puddle under the car. The car is going in tomorrow to have it looked at. I am just back from a run and there was absolutely zero smoke so it's definitely only when idling for long periods. Turbo sounds strong and healthy also. 

is it the 150bhp 2AD-FTV or 177bhp 2AD-FHV (also known as D-CAT)? If the latter it has a DPF so it could be the DPF regenerating.

Also, if it is a 177bhp then anecdotally they probably have the highest rate of head/head-gasket issues (as a result of carbon build up/excessive oil).

How many miles on it?

It is the 150bhp 2AD-FTV. It has 133,000 miles on it. Had it out a few times today. No smoke at all. Just when I had left it idling yesterday for about 15 minutes which I know isn't good.  Coolant level doesn't drop and it is the colour it should be. No sludge or weird discolouration on the oil cap. I am using oil but only because I know I have a leak coming from right at the front of the car on the passenger side which I'm having fixed tomorrow. 

Blue smoke is indicative of oil burning, and once you've fixed your leak you'll be able to tell how much. Engine builds prior to march 08 have the potential for oil burning and associated head gasket issues. I didn't see from your earlier posts the year of your vehicle. It only takes a tiny amounts of oil to turn the exhaust gas blue, and the engine has already survived for 133k so you may never have a problem if you keep it topped up. If it is 08 or prior it's most certainly not cost effective to fix.

It is a 2007. I also put wynns system cleaner in it so I don't know how much of the smoke is caused by that also. I have not seen any symptoms as yet to the head gasket. The oil leak is near the bottom corner of the intercooler but the oil is definitely not leaking from the intercooler and if it was it would be a major concern due to the amount but the good sign is that I have absolutely no problems when driving and the turbo works exactly as it should. 

1 hour ago, Duggerz said:

Engine builds prior to march 08 have the potential for oil burning and associated head gasket issues. 

The TSB for the head/head-gasket issue has for the Avensis up until the end of February 2009 i.e. including some early T27s.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue with light blue smoke during the car warming up from a cold start. When you first start the car there is no smoke at all and if you immediately set off and drive normal there is no smoke either. The smoke only appears when the car is allowed to idle at warm-up and only once the temperature gauge is on the first couple of notches. If you rev the car the smoke will clear fairly quick but if left the smoke gradually gets worse but once the temperature of the car gets up the smoke goes away and doesn't come back. My mechanic said it could be a few thing's including rings, stem seals and or injectors. But he said it could become costly in labour if they don't find the issue first off so it might not be worth it as it is a 2007 and I only paid £1450. Bare in mind I have already spent £630 on a service, new water pump and belt, new fuel filter and housing. Funds are drying up and he is saying if it was him, so long as I'm not using a lot of oil he would just leave it. Anyone else had similar experience?

You already posted on this very subject - 

The only things not mentioned are the turbo and PCV. The turbo seals may be not sealing, or the PCV systems needs checking and/or cleaning. You need to check the inlet pipes to see if there are signs of oil. While you are in that area, check and clean the EGR. Basically a good check to eliminate the inlet side. The other usual suspect are the valve guides. I would go along with the mechanic if  within the engine itself, and live with the situation. Does it smoke under heavy load?

The mechanic has said he doesn't think there is an issue with the turbo although there is a pretty big leak in the lower intercooler hose which he is fixing on Friday. He doesn't think it is the valve seals or rings either as it doesn't smoke at startup or when driving normally and also if you accelerate hard there is still no smoke. One other thing he thought was either a sticking injector or the injector seals. When I got the car there were no codes but now I have a pending code (intermitting fault) with no EML that reads P1238. I know this means "injector malfunction" which then ties in with his theory about the injectors. The smoke that does come out from time to time does not smell of oil, it is definitely unburnt fuel. He thinks the injector might be sticking open when cold or that the seals are leaking. He has given me industrial strength additive to try and said to give it a good run as the car was sitting 4 weeks. I was also told to do 3 simple tests. Point the nose down hill then leave it and see if the problems are worse (they are), take off the oil filler cap while running and listen for a hissing/chuffing sound (there is) and finally do I still get problems during a warm start (there not as bad but still not right) he has said that if all 3 tests show problems then it will most likely be the seals.

When I got my Toyota D4D 2.2 it was smoking on/off.  It turned out to be the turbo unit after all.  An expense that I avoided by selling it to a car dealer.  That is what I did to avoid huge expense and went back to a petrol 1.8 Avensis.

Topics merged.

Well after all the investigating everything is pointing at the injector washers. I know Toyota have admitted there are issues with the original copper washers failing at around 100,000-130,000 miles and they now offer an upgraded washer. I have all the symptoms that they have said to look out for. Car chuff's (more noticeable when cold), hard start and erratic idle. But strangely they said the biggest tell-tale symptom is oil in the intercooler. This is caused by the injector blow-by creating additional pressure in the crankcase which will make the engine breath heavy and passing excessive oil/diesel fumes in to the intake system.