Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Improving audio quality?

complexion

Any tips on improving the audio quality whilst keeping the standard head unit? Does anyone know if you can add an amplifier/subwoofer combo to it using the OEM device or how about some decent Speakers? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

This is perfectly possible. I have installed in my IQ3 a Hertz Dieci DBA 200.3 subwoofer, Hertz Energy ESK 165.5 Component Speakers (front only), powered by a Hertz HCP 2 amplifier tucked underneath the driver's seat. The difference between this setup and stock is night and day.

I had this installed at Autosounds in Newcastle whilst I was studying there, but I am back in Edinburgh now. If you want to have a listen when you're here, just PM me.

The only issue that I have is that the start stop system cuts off the amplifier momentarily, and so I usually turn the start stop feature off when I have music on.

Thank you, I was looking to connect it up myself so any pointers would be appreciated. Out of curiosity though how much did it cost supplied and installed?

Did you keep the stock head unit?

Has anyone else just upgraded the Speakers and does that make a good difference?

The setup costs around £900, I went for the costlier option as I wanted something with really good sound quality, personally if I would do it again, I would go for cheaper focal Speakers and a larger 10" subwoofer. Still the factory installed "head unit" as everything is through the existing controls on the steering wheel.

I've taken the door cards off to repair some loose wiring on the component Speakers, so I can assist you with that, but anything behind the dash is a mystery to me.

I kind of did the opposite, changed the radio head-unit but kept the standard door and rear panel Speakers

I have a Pioneer unit in the dash now with DAB and USB slot playing MP3 files. Sounds good with the stock Speakers but I was able to turn the bass down on the Speakers as I also run a separate, underseat sub made by Kenwood. This is powered from specific sub outputs from the head-unit so you can crank the bass up to the sub only and leave the door speakers handling mid and high frequencies only. The stock speakers distort pretty bad when it comes to handling the lower frequencies.

Steering wheel controls still work through a little adaptor box.

Craig.

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks. Looking to keep it as cheap as possible really as I'm not about the bump in the trunk but wouldn't mind a bit more bass.

Ideally what got my attention was tactile transducers/bass shakers installed in the BMW 1 Series as they are a subwoofer you can feel as it vibrates the whole seat and I found that interesting because adding just that to the existing Speakers would be fine as they just need a bit more low end.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links