Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Observations on the Aygo 2 after nearly 2 years

zuh

Hello!

Here are the three main things that annoy me on my Aygo 2. Points n° 2 and 3 were already pet peeves on my good old Aygo 1!

(1) The engine terribly lacks torque at low revs: it has none. I do not expect the tiny 1.0 petrol to drive like a 3.5 diesel, but releasing the clutch gently is not enough, I have to accelerate frankly to set the car in motion. It gives the impression that the engine is not powerful enough to launch the car, as though I was trying to set off uphill towing a heavy trailer. A mechanic told that the car had a huge flywheel to compensate the lack of torque, but with its inertia, I am sure that it contributes making this car so painful to start. I think it also accounts for jerky gear changes if you shift too fast, with the sensation of something bouncing inside the gearbox. The latest facelifted 2018 Aygo has more torque at low revs. It means this issue was known by Toyota and corrected. I guess it makes the latest Aygo is much more pleasant to drive!

(2) The gearbox needs time to heat up. The very first time I shift into 2nd gear, the gearbox creaks as if there were no oil in the gearbox. Afterwards, all gear changes are perfectly smooth.

(3) Before 10 000 miles, the suspension springs started to squeak like an old wooden floor. When I go down the slopes leading to my parking space, I can clearly hear the suspension. I regularly drive cars that are much older and there is no such noise.

Did you notice the same thing on yours?
Regards,

The engine revisions were mainly intended to comply with EU6.2 and the Real Driving Experience test. By slightly lowering the engine’s maximum torque yet making it available at lower revs, Toyota were able to improve driveability and take-off performance. Maximum torque is now 93 as opposed to 95. Despite being used to larger cars and engines (the last time we had a 1 litre car was 1994 and we've had 21 new cars since 1987), I haven't found any issue with how the car moves off from rest, with the clutch nor with the gearbox. In fact for the engine size and the type of car it is, I find the Aygo generally quite sprightly.

Similarly no problems with the gearchange or suspension.

Bear in mind that the Aygo, in common with most other city cars, is reasonably well suppressed as regards noise, given the light weight, etc, but won't compare too well with cars from higher sectors, where standards are higher.

Thank you for your answer and feedback!

You are absolutely right. Quality and comfort improved a lot with the Aygo 2. I am not comparing the Aygo to more expensive cars, I am used to driving cheap cars 😄

Still, I think the improved "take-off performance" makes a huge difference! I am curious to try the latest Aygo to check this.

I have a 2015 aygo and have been pleasantly surprised how good it is,pulls very well for 1lt.Mine has 29k on the clock and drives very smoothly with no rattles,creaks ect.I am used to driving my X5 BMW that is a 4.4 V8 but love driving the Aygo.

Thanks for your feedback 😉

Going from a V8 X5 to an Aygo, that's some change!

I must admit Zuh i have not been on a long trip in the aygo yet as i would use the X5 but if i decide to leave my caravan down the coast i will try it.If i find i can not put up with it i will probably sell them both and get something in between.