Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'Cruising range' isn't changing after filling up

SeventhLevel

Last week my cruising range, on the screen between the dials, was at 39 miles. I put £10 of fuel in the car and it didn't change, though the needle on the fuel gauge did go up. 

Now that I've almost used that fuel the cruising range displays 2 miles left, though it should say at least 35 judging where the needle on the fuel gauge is.

I was going to call the dealership as it's still under warranty but thought I'd post on here first to see if there's an easy way to reset the cruising range. 

Cheers! 

The range can be adversely affected if one puts less than 15 litres into the vehicle when filling up. This applies not just to the Auris. When filling up next time, put more than 15 litres in, and the range should revert to normal.

• Like 3

Yes, I've known this on other makes too, fuel computers don't/can't register very small fill ups correctly. £10 doesn't even get you two gallons nowadays anyway!

• Like 1

As FB's post. You haven't added a sufficient volume of fuel to update the range.🙂

"When only a small amount of fuel is added to the
tank, the display may not be updated."

The above copied from my handbook.

All sound advice - filled up fully and it reverted to show the full range. Thanks for your comments, saved me a call to the dealer.

• 2 years later...

I filled up and my cruising range was 411 Miles 3 months later I filled up and cruising range is now 360 miles

The ecu has made calculations based on last driving consumption, in winter mpg goes down and so the total range. Fill up again in warmer weather and you will see numbers has changed again.👍

putting a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank could possibly only raise the level of fuel by 1mm

so the onboard fuel computer can't register such a small increase in fuel level.

On 1/3/2021 at 11:21 PM, 1.8 hybrid said:

putting a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank could possibly only raise the level of fuel by 1mm

so the onboard fuel computer can't register such a small increase in fuel level.

Is that right? Brim to brim, mine takes £40 worth of fuel, so £10 is quarter of a tank; surely more than 1mm

forgot the auris only has a small tank but you understand what i'm saying

my partner has an auris but i never drive it and fill it up

1 hour ago, AKLZ said:

Is that right? Brim to brim, mine takes £40 worth of fuel, so £10 is quarter of a tank; surely more than 1mm

There will be a reserve as well within the 43 litre tank - which I think in the Corolla is around 6.4 litres.

• 1 year later...

Please make understand about the "cruising range", and please what will happen if it reaches 00, do I have to worry?

15 minutes ago, Bongani Buthelezi said:

Please make understand about the "cruising range", and please what will happen if it reaches 00, do I have to worry?

Only if you are 50 miles from the nearest open petrol station. After another 30 miles really worry. 

So don't push it. 

22 minutes ago, Bongani Buthelezi said:

The range is just an indication of how many miles/kilometres one may be able to travel from the amount of fuel remaining in the tank. The ECU should make some calculation based on how the car has been driven, temperature, etc. When the range is showing zero, there will be an amount of fuel left, which will vary from model to model.

The low fuel light will come on when the reserve is reached (approx 6.4 litres in the Corolla), and you would be best to rely on this rather than the range.