Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Verso 2003 query

acepl78

Hi,

I'm kinda new to UK-style car documentation so I have a few issues I need sorted out...

First of all, why there is no date of build (year) in the V5C - or for that matter anywhere in any official documentation available?

Because, second bit - VIN of my wheels always comes back funky - it recognizes model etc, but nothing more of importance. According to all sites that explain VIN none should have any zeros in it, yet mine has ample supply of them, including zero in position 10.

I found one site that supplied the detailed report, but it's still not quite working out well. FOr the most part everything is correct, but my Verso does not have dual-control AC, cruise control and has all four windows powered. I've attached the report.

So, my question is: how do I find out year? I believe that registration date is somewhat... fuzzy. Is it possible that car dealer registers car with DVLA well before car is delivered? That is: it's registration somewhat proforma?

Second question that I have is: is is possible to obtain replacement timing belt that is branded Toyota OEM? Asking because when I was replacing the timing kit (car was around 160k mls then), the garage showed me the belt and said it was original factory fitted part. SO I was either driving 14 year old car (or 15? can't tell) witthout timing belt replacement from new or when it was replaced it was with original toyota part.

Third question: the report says cruise control is fitted. Yet there is no control for that. How can I find out if that's correct as It's something I'm particularly interested in.

e15b0d23bde92b9e5932bb9dc4b06c0510396.pdf

As regards registering a car with DVLA, what matters is when the car was first registered for use on the road, not the build date. Usually this date is when the car was delivered to a customer buying it as new. Dealers may also register cars as demonstrators or similar. Sometimes dealers have sales campaigns where cars are registered before sale to a customer (known as pre-registering), and then discount the cars when they go on sale.

Some companies/individuals may also import used vehicles from Japan - known as 'grey imports' - for which DVLA use the original foreign registration certificate to determine the build date, and then issue a UK registration number for the year the car was built.

As regards your car, can you post a picture.

I suspect it may be the first generation Corolla Verso (also known as the Corolla Spacio) that was exported to Europe from Japan between late 2001 and early 2004. This was replaced by the European market Corolla Verso that was launched in May 2004, which was a different Turkish built model. The report you attached states the car was built in Japan, which suggests it may be the earlier version. As the earlier version was only exported to Europe for a short time, third party websites, etc often don't have the correct information on this model.

A Toyota dealer should be able to supply a replacement timing kit if one cannot source it from a third party.

Car was built on the 4th December 2003, it did not have Cruise control and Timing belts are readily available from Toyota part # 13568-29035.

Cruise control may be difficult as it was not an option on the MK1 Corolla Verso