Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Aygo Coming!

Claypole

So, it seems like we (my missus to be exact) have a new Toyota Aygo coming, hopefully by the end of the year. We wanted the least expensive model, but my missus will only drive automatics,  which is seemingly only available on the X Play and up, so we’re getting the X Play.

I have never cared too much for autos, but needs must when the missus drives, so that was that. However, I do remember hiring an automatic  Avensis a few years ago, and that had a manual, sequential shifter which was rather nice. I though maybe this Aygo might have some kind of similar thing, so I looked into it.

I have now discovered that this Aygo isn’t really a true automatic in the traditional sense. I’ve read up on how it works, and have a slight niggling doubt as to whether my missus is going to like it. She is used to autos that almost seamlessly change gear, and I believe the Aygo X Shift might not be so seamless, given that it is still a manual gearox.

For me, I really like the idea of manually changing gear with the gear knob, or the flappy paddles. So, is this Aygo with its MMT gearbox  going to be something both of us will like to drive, a “best of both worlds” kind of thing, or will this not be the case?

I’m sure we’ll get used to it anyway, but has anybody here gone from a traditional auto to one of these MMT gearboxes? 

Hi Clayton,

We has a manual Yaris for many years and it was a truly reliable car. We decided to buy a Aygo specifically a MMT. We both feel it is a much safer car to drive as you keep both hands on the wheel all the time.

As it is not a conventional automatic there are differences. I'm sure you'll get used to it as we did. Would I swap it for a manual? No! It's worth reading the comments of other subscribers regarding driving the MMT and it's foibles.

Happy driving.

Peter

As far as I'm aware, the X-shift fitted to the second generation Aygo (2014 onwards), is a developed version of the Multi Mode Transmission (automated manual gearbox) fitted to the first generation Aygo. From memory, I've yet to see complaints on the forum as regards the X-shift. There is currently only one complaint about the X-shift in the Good & Bad section of the Honest John review - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/aygo-2014/good/ - which dates from September 2016.

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking forward to driving it in manual, hopefully my misses will like it in auto. There seems to be a lot of technology packed into new cars these days, would it be a bit sad and geeky to download the driver's manual and do my homework before we get the car?

11 minutes ago, Claypole said:

..... would it be a bit sad and geeky to download the driver's manual and do my homework before we get the car?

No - new cars only come with an abbreviated owners manual. One can download the full owners manual from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Do a generic search rather than input the VIN

35 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No - new cars only come with an abbreviated owners manual. One can download the full owners manual from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Do a generic search rather than input the VIN

I've got the owner's manual now, cheers.

I've got the X shift X play, bought 2017. I personally love the way the car drives and having driven mk1 and mk2 aygo I'm used to the noisy 3 cylinder engine. I think it adds to the charm, and I've often pulled away from lights leaving other traffic at a standstill, and she's responsive when accelerating away from roundabouts. If you drive in rush hour the lack of clutch to control would be a bonus for you I think. I have given manual mode a go with the flappy paddles and it does work well although I don't think its true manual mode as the aygo still changes down automatically.

Thanks for the replies. Next up for pre delivery study will be the X Touch manual...

I've had my Aygo for around 4 years now and I'm not a fan of the x-shift. I much prefer a proper auto gearbox experience to this one. I find it drives nicer in manual mode, so I never use it in auto mode.