Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange squeal sound.......

Exvec

Hello one and all,

I have a 2.0 d4d 1CD FTV Engine and i am noticing a high pitched squeal coming from i think the back of the car somewhere, and it's not hand brake related.

The noise is intermittent but makes no difference whether the car is hot or cold. 

Any ideas anyone ???

Is the squeal sound emitted when the car is moving or stationary?
If moving then something is rubbing. 
If stationary then I would guess the fuel pump. With the engine idling go into the back seat of the car and check to see if the sound is coming from below the rear seat.

• Like 1

Thanks for reply ,the sound only happens when the car is reversing,initially i thought it might be the rear brakes shoes binding,so i re adjusted the handbrake,but it's still happening,so need to delve further problem is i don't know where to start on this one.

I would remove disc/drum and inspect and clean the brakes. There could be a problem with the shoes like corrosion. Normally the shoes don't wear because they only hold the car. From the diagrams, I notice the rear pads have wear indicators which are designed to make the squeaking noise when low. Check those!
  AVENSIS |  REAR DISC BRAKE CALIPER DUST COVER

If I am right it could be the pads. I think the piston is push in, because of the separate drum parking brake. No need for the wind back tool.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I also have this exact same problem, and yes I mean identical to what you have described. I have been trying to find out what it is. It does seem to be pretty common for these cars to have break squeal and I know 100% that the wheel it is coming from is not holding so. I have not long got the car and it was sitting 4 weeks before I bought it so I was hoping that it is just some corrosion and it will eventually go away. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2018 at 11:01 AM, Archie0979 said:

Yep, I also have this exact same problem, and yes I mean identical to what you have described. I have been trying to find out what it is. It does seem to be pretty common for these cars to have break squeal and I know 100% that the wheel it is coming from is not holding so. I have not long got the car and it was sitting 4 weeks before I bought it so I was hoping that it is just some corrosion and it will eventually go away. 

Did you get to the bottom of this noise Paul.,mines still doing it after cleaning all the breaks up pads etc.

Finally got to the bottom of the squealing sound.It was caused by a partially seized front nearside brake caliper.Mad really because i had only changed the pads and discs last Summer.

I just removed the caliper and used a large set of water pump pliers on the piston to force back,i also used an old disc to push up to after i had continuously   worked the caliper backwards and forwards,anyways it appears to have done the job for now.Will Look into replacing the caliper at some point.

• Like 1

Sorry I haven't replied sooner as I have just noticed the post. My problem was rather embarrassing and straight forward. It was the brake wear indicator rubbing on the disc. Just needed a new set of pads.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links