Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox dead, no drive

shogunswb

Looks like the gearbox has died in my 2009 1.0 IQ but cannot find anyone else that has had this type of problem.

Basically goes into 1, 2, 3, 5 & reverse but when I let the clutch up it starts to bite then horrible grinding noise & no drive.

Will not go into 4th at all & all gears locations don't feel right.

Quick check on the cables to make sure there is no obstruction etc & all seems fine along with the clutch.

I'm guessing the main shaft has gone but seems a bit strange.

Anyone else heard of or experienced this problem?

How did it fail, while driving, gave a bang or just wouldn't move after parking up? Does sound a strange one.

Craig.

When the garage stripped it down they found that the clutch plate had exploded.  New clutch should arrive today but not sure that’s the whole story because that doesn’t explain why it wouldn’t go into 4th. 

Will update when it’s all back together. 

Wow, not heard of that happening before. 

Be good to get photos of the removed clutch.

Craig.

Hi Shogunswb,

I think i had the same problem with the gearbox. I don't now where is that topic but, it was a small piece of metal broken. 

Gomoca

Hopefully find out today if it was just the clutch or the gearbox as well, but as it went when changing into 4th & that was the only gear it wouldn't go into after it went bang im not hopeful.

Will try & get the old parts & take photos if they haven't binned it already.

It was just the clutch but unfortunately they had binned it before I picked it up but there is something wrong with 4th as I cannot select 4th at a standstill (I know it's not quite torquey enough to pull away in 4th) & if I knock it out of gear on the move & wait a few seconds then it won't let me put it back into 4th until I have used another gear first.

Time will tell what happens next.

Also, how much for a 2 part clutch for the 1.0l model?  Cheapest I found was £137 going up to nearly £500 but for the 1.3l you can pick them up for £46.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links