Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 Rav4 D4D - low on power / Wynns EGR cleaner??

RAV4FR

I have a RAV4 as a second car that lives in France. I’m using it Day to Day now and it’s down on power.

It has 190,000 kms on it and wasn’t the most loved car previously so I’ve spent time replacing things and giving her some love. Due next week; brand new oil and fuel filter;  new oil of course.

But I can tell she’s low on power. No faults or lights on the dash. So rather than pay an extortionate fee to a garage here; I thought I’d try some EGR / turbo cleaner. I’ve bought one called Wynn EGR cleaner - but I want to check exactly where to spray this into.

I’ve attached instructions; I’m guessing ‘B’ is the preferred option?? If so, where am I spraying!? Excuse my naivety.

7887883B-C222-47F3-967A-9AE4F88FC05F.jpeg

Hey,

I'm quite skeptical about this thing. Just to think that all that carbon ends up in the combustion chamber..

The best way to clean the EGR is to remove it and clean it properly with carburetor cleaner. This spray can thingy just looks like a gimmick that can end up doing more harm.

Maybe some other members can chime in with experience with such products, but removing the EGR is quite easy to do, it should be easily accessible.

But to move away from the topic at hand, are you experiencing loss of power all the time or only when the engine has warmed up? While it's good preventative maintenance to clean the EGR and replace the filters, at some point you have to look at symptoms to try to figure out what to test if the EGR/filters don't resolve the issue.

• Like 1

Sprays etc have very little overall contact time and it would be unrealistic to think that some instantaneous reaction was going to take place. Some Rav4 owners swear by Archoil 6400 and 6600 - these products are added to the fuel tank. Many additives contain compounds such as 2-EHN - a known cetane modifier. Boosting the cetane number will give improvement but won't remove deposits etc - but many will conclude that the product "is working". 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought my second EGR in 10 years (2.2 DCAT). Toyota told me that cleaning them never removes everything, so gradually deposits build up and they fail. Of course, how quickly depends on urban/motorway driving habits. They said you can't soak it overnight as there are electronics in there also. Cost me €250 all in from Mr T - that's probably the price of a pair of tyres, so once in five years I don't think that's too bad.

I've used the Wynns stuff on my previous car, a Nissan Almera 2.2DCi. After miles of driving, the engine would develop a flat spot around the 3000rpm mark. I would use the Wynns, then take the car out for a spirited drive. i.e. revs constantly above 4000rpm for about 10 miles. This would clear the problem for a long time. The crap that would blow out of the exhaust was unbelievable. I'm not saying that the Wynns is amazing or anything, but it worked for me.

I used to take the air filter out and spray it into the air intake that way!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links