Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smeary windscreen when it rains??

sidekick180

Hi everyone,

I have only just joined this forum and have a question, which hopefully someone will be able to help with.

I have an imported Toyota Estima 2003. Absolutely love the car but I'm getting really frustrated that when it rains, I struggle to be able to see through the windscreen. It seems to go really smeary and it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I can't seem to get it clear. It's almost like it's contaminated with something. I have tried lots of things including the obvious, new Wiper Blades etc. Just wondered if anyone had any magic tips of how to clean it up completely. Failing that, would it be worth me getting a quote for a new windscreen. any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wonder if it had previously been treated with a silicone-based water repellent product like Rain-X. Try a diluted solution of soda crystals just on the glass and wear protective gloves.

Try running your hand over the screen. Is it pitted?

Have you tried white vinegar and water?

Thanks for that advice Mike and Paul. I am just about to try a solution of sugar soap to see if this works. Apparently, it's really good at removing grease residue. I have checked the windscreen carefully and there is no pitting. I think it is probably just the junk that comes from the roads etc.

If the sugar soap doesn't work, I will try the white vinegar and water, then I will also try the soda crystals.

By the way Paul, did you used to be a member on TEOC? I was a member on that site but only just found out that it has been shut down. Such a shame, but great to see that it's still possible to get fantastic advice from kind people like yourselves on here.

On detailing world a lot of people find barkeepers friend great.  The powder one that's in the Range.  Otherwise if it's been treated with a screen sealant then a rayon pad and ceriglas is the option for those with a da polisher...

Surprised no one mentioned isopropyl alcohol to clean whatever was put on that screen. Sounds like a classic incorrect application of a rain repellent.

Go over it with iso + a clay bar and it'll be spotless.

I'd go with vinegar + some water, as mentioned above. Is this same on all windows, or just windscreen?

4 hours ago, sidekick180 said:

I am just about to try a solution of sugar soap t

I would not use sugar soap because if you get any on the paint work it will strip any polish off!  I have used 'T' cut original on windscreens for years, it leaves it completely clean and smooth (it does not remove chips or scratches, for that I use jewelers rouge but it is messy!) If the Wiper Blades are in good condition it is worth cleaning them with ISO too if you don't want to use T cut.

Ps. I don't use T cut on the Wiper Blades! 😉

Hello

Sidekick 180, welcome to this Forum. Are you parked under a Lime tree by any chance, as there is a sticky residue that comes off the underside of the leaves, that may be gumming up your windscreeen ??

Michael

Hi Everyone,

I haven't worked out how to reply to individual messages yet. So thank you to you all for your very informative advice. The issue only seems to be with my windscreen, I'm not generally parked under any trees and the smears only appear when it rains.

I tried sugar soap and made sure that none of it went on any paintwork. Not sure if it has worked or not as I need to wait until it rains to be sure. having said that, I did use the windscreen washer and I don't think the sugar soap has worked, although I do think it has removed some of the residue.

In the past, I did use a clay bar, which came with some specific fluid to use with the clay bar. Again, this did seem to work a bit but didn't completely remove the stuff. I will look at the other options posted on here and see if I can find the things that have been mentioned. I do have some T-Cut original but wasn't sure if this could be used on windscreens. Maybe that will be my net attempt before I start buying more chemicals. Thanks everyone

On 10/18/2018 at 3:01 PM, sidekick180 said:

Thanks for that advice Mike and Paul. I am just about to try a solution of sugar soap to see if this works. Apparently, it's really good at removing grease residue. I have checked the windscreen carefully and there is no pitting. I think it is probably just the junk that comes from the roads etc.

If the sugar soap doesn't work, I will try the white vinegar and water, then I will also try the soda crystals.

By the way Paul, did you used to be a member on TEOC? I was a member on that site but only just found out that it has been shut down. Such a shame, but great to see that it's still possible to get fantastic advice from kind people like yourselves on here.

Hi Sidekick,

yes, I was a member of TEOC for over a decade. Shame it closed, particularly as the Mk3 Estima seems to be gaining popularity. I guess the forum bods have Mi1s and Mk2s before their need for such a vehicle ceased.

I’m about to wax my Estima. I’ve applied wax to the windscreen before now and noticed rain beads simply slip down the screen. May try so again.

Let us know how you fair with your screen.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links