Do Not Sell My Personal Information

tyre preference

valentino46

My 2012 1,8 petrol tourer is in for new tyres next week ,before the M.O.T., and I wondered if a softer tyre would help the rather firm [bumpy ] ride .or should I stick to the original Goodyear, The roads around west Dorset are not good THANKS 

I know that you probably don't have the weather down there to need the winter grip part of it's makeup but the Michelin Crossclimate is also meant to have a good ride.

Also debating this as need some....... was steering towards Efficient Grip from Good Year but interested to hear other views.  The Michelin Primacy 3 that came from new on mine will only have done about 19k and seem to resonate so won't be trying them again.

1 hour ago, Willss said:

The Michelin Primacy 3 that came from new on mine will only have done about 19k and seem to resonate so won't be trying them again.

That's probably par for the course for the fronts on a T27 Avensis but would be very low for rears.

I'm not sure whether softer tyres will make that much of a difference. To be honest, I think rim size matters more. I'm running 18" summer tyres and 16" winter tyres. The 18" feel super harsh in comparison.

• Like 1

Although I'm generally a fan of Michelin Crossclimates, fitting them to our T27 Avensis made no noticeable improvement to the ride quality at all. I find the ride of the Avensis OK, but my wife and daughter complain about how jiggly it is at low speeds, despite fitting Crossclimates recently. 

On a positive note the Crossclimates fitted to my Auris transformed the ride and handling, and are on course to last almost 50k which is pretty impressive. 

I think the issue with our Avensis ride is partly down to the 17 inch wheels. IMHO they should have used 16 inch wheels which would probably have given a more comfortable ride and been a heck of a lot cheaper to buy tyres for too! 

On 10/21/2018 at 9:51 PM, Heidfirst said:

That's probably par for the course for the fronts on a T27 Avensis but would be very low for rears.

Yes just fronts, rears have lots of life left. I know the Michelins are meant to wear well so will probably just find the Good years wear quicker........ but I won't know without trying!!!

I bought the Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres 6 months ago though I was tempted to get Michelin Cross Climates. According to the EU ratings/label they perform similarly but the Goodyears were £40 per tyre cheaper! However, must admit they make more noise than the Michelin Primacy they replaced but otherwise happy with them.

• Like 1