Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel dilemma

magicpants

I'm set on getting a used RAV4 2014 plate, I've driven the 2.2 diesel AWD, yet to drive the 2.0. I would be towing once in a while, but only a camping trailer, not a caravan.

I'm in two minds whether to go with the 2.2 or not.

Does anyone have the 2.0 diesel AWD, and are you satisfied with it in terms of power?

Not sure how true this is, but I've read that DPF wasn't brought in on the 2.2 as standard until 2015?

With the recent MOT clamp down on emissions I don't want to buy a car without DPF. 

DPF's have been mandatory since 2009 and were standard on some Toyotas some years prior. Anyone purchasing a diesel should ensure that their regular driving regime is such that the DPF regenerates adequately - otherwise a modern diesel isn't a good choice. Recent MOT changes have introduced a check  that vehicles originally fitted with a DPF have not had the unit tampered with or removed. The DPF removes particulates from the exhaust gases - the MOT doesn't include a check of particulate levels but smoke of any colour from the exhaust will be registered as a major fault.

If you browse through this and other forums, I think it will become obvious that the choice of diesel bears a higher risk of engine defects than does the petrol version.  I chose petrol, and do not regret it.

6 hours ago, gjnorthall said:

DPF's have been mandatory since 2009 and were standard on some Toyotas some years prior. Anyone purchasing a diesel should ensure that their regular driving regime is such that the DPF regenerates adequately - otherwise a modern diesel isn't a good choice. Recent MOT changes have introduced a check  that vehicles originally fitted with a DPF have not had the unit tampered with or removed. The DPF removes particulates from the exhaust gases - the MOT doesn't include a check of particulate levels but smoke of any colour from the exhaust will be registered as a major fault.

Thanks for confirming.

Anyone have any views on the 2.0 diesel?

DPF's have been mandatory since 2009 and were standard on some Toyotas some years prior.

Pedantic I know but they were mandatory on new design approvals from 2009 but existing designs could continue to be sold without them until 2011.

Don't know your annual mileage & typical journey profile but have you considered/got the budget for a hybrid RAV?

A few years ago there was nothing simpler than a petrol engine and hence in general terms such engines were very reliable. However in the quest for economy, performance and low emissions there has been a move by many manufacturers towards reducing capacity and fitting turbo chargers. Many small family cars now have a 1 or 1.2 litre turbo engine and other equipment such as EGR systems, s/s systems, smart alternators etc. We’ve already seen some examples, and the concern is that petrol engine reliability and longevity will be compromised.

That's why I was suggesting looking at the hybrid - it's based around a 2.5l normally aspirated petrol engine & we know from millions of Prius/Auris etc. hybrids that the system concept is reliable over many years & hundreds of thousands of miles.

Hybrid would be nice, but I can't afford the initial cost (don't want to do HP), hence when I'm looking at used diesels.

I appreciate that they come with their own problems (I've had a few diesels over the years). My question is more targeted at the 2.0 and if it suits the demands of those that have one.

Just play safe and avoid diesel altogether.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you do town/city work the hybrid is pointless anyway, just a regular petrol car carrying a load of extra weight. I live and work out of town and it would be of no use, I did the numbers a while ago. We have a big caravan so need the torque figures from the 2.2 diesel. The petrol just would not cut it without really working it hard and burning gas big time.

While looking to replace our old car I checked a lot of vehicles, crv, vw's etc and very few now have the 2t towing limit I need to safely pull my van. A lot have pathetic towing figures in the search for emissions as they have (as said) pokey little engines and just 'look' strong.