Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Broken location glove box damper on lower dashboard - fixed I hope.

Konrad C

One of the few very minor issues I had when I bought my car, was broken locating pin for the glove box damper. Basically it was partly broken off, and when fixing the damper on to it, it would come off, due to the excess movement. The problem is the lower dash is a large one piece construction, so removing not an option.   AVENSIS |  INSTRUMENT PANEL GLOVE COMPARTMENT

I tried superglue but that failed after a short while. I then tried gluing L shaped plastic, but that failed too. A few weeks ago I decided to try epoxy resin adhesive 2 in 1 syringe. I left it fo cure and yesterday decided to put the damper back on. It seems to have worked so far. It is holding firm unlike previous attempts. 
I must say the damper only makes a small difference, once the glove box has some heavy items stored in it. 
On another note, since cleaning the MAF sensor and keeping an ye on the tyre pressures, the car economy is averaging 37.6 mpg in all different driving conditions. I see small cars with smaller engine doing 30 mpg or less, so I am pleased.  

• 1 month later...

Has your repair been successful,  Same has happened to my Avensis Tourer, , mine is completely broken off, I think the location pin could have been made more substantial to prevent this happening.

So far to good. The locating lug on the dashboard was partly detached. I used Ever Build epoxy resin adhesive from Toolstation -  https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesives+%26+Sealants/d180/General+Adhesives/sd2340/Epoxy+Resin+Adhesive/p29905

I previously tried super glue but it failed after a while. What I did was mix  the glue, then apply between the lug and the mating surface, then apply around the lug. I held the lug in position for a short while until the glue had harden. Then I left everything to set for a couple of weeks. I then replaced the damper onto the lug and all is good so far. 

If the glue had failed, I would have removed the lug completely, and drilled a hole to fit a suitable bolt. A nut with washer is screwed to secure the bolt. The damper would be attached to the bolt. Fortunately I did need to go that route, but it is an idea. 

Glove box damper?

is that that thing to the left that holds the glovebox up when opened? Looks like a plastic shocker?

cant you replace it with a new one or used part?

Yes its the on the left and looks like a plastic shocker, handbook page 467 to change the aircon filter slide off (disconnect)  the damper to remove the glove box, looks to me if the damper is not disconnected before removing the glove box the damper mounting will break, or the mounting is to weak for normal usage, the mounting is part of the dashboard and doesn't look very substantial for its usage. has anyone else done this repair.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Glove box damper?

is that that thing to the left that holds the glovebox up when opened? Looks like a plastic shocker?

cant you replace it with a new one or used part?

The lug the damper hooks onto, is part of the lower, one piece dashboard mold. Break that and it will need to be glued back, or a hole drilled for a substitute to be fitted. Worse scenario is the whole dash replaced! 
Mine was broken when I got the car. Somebody probably trying to remove the glovebox (to access cabin filter), was too rough and used the wrong technique to disengage the damper.

Edited by Konrad C
additional info.

In such cases where i need something to hold, i use gauze and super glue. Dab a bit on the part and around so the gauze has something to stick on, once firm a bit, add more super glue, but not too much.

This way you create more surface area for it to hold, and bond is stronger.

Thats ridiculous, how Toyota have moulded this part into the dash!

I shall be more careful with ours now. The only time we remove it is to change the pollen filter. I cant see it breaking whilst opening and closing the glove box as per normal use.

If it does ever break, i would have thought one could live without this damper...no? Or make some sort of a diy bracket from plastic if it does drop without the damper just to keep the box up.

Hope someone finds a fix to what is a small but highly annoying issue

2 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Thats ridiculous, how Toyota have moulded this part into the dash!

Why? It will have saved cost in production & as you said:

I cant see it breaking whilst opening and closing the glove box as per normal use.

If it does ever break, i would have thought one could live without this damper...no?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links