Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric window problem

mandraker

Hi All, 

I'm new to this forum, so I'll try to be a systematic on my problem as possible (but hopefully I get all the relevant info in the post).

I have a 2014 diesel Avensis (UK model variant) saloon which is of the Luna variety and which includes 4 electric windows. I've had numerous Avensis's before but this the first time to come across this problem. When I attempt to put the drivers side window down using the relevant electric window control switch, it doesn't work (ie: nothing happens), however occasionally, when I do this it will work (ie: approximately 1/8 or 1 in 10 attempts).  Whenever the window fails to respond to the control button , if I then attempt to lower the passenger window it always works (or indeed any other window) which appears to suggest that this is not a system wide issue such as a fuse. Additionally, when the window does actually respond then it functions smoothly as expected with no noises or unexpected behavior. 

I've tried different activities to verify if they were related such as locking and unlocking all windows with central window locking switch, with no success. I've tried to lock and unlock the door central locking and the individual door central lock to determine if it was impacting , again no success. I have also tried when the car is stationary or driving, again no impact. This problem suddenly occurred out of the blue (with no apparent trigger  / impact) about a week ago. My suspicion here is this is not a mechanical issue such as motor (no noise) , or fuse ( only driver side window) but possibly related to some software or perhaps some kind of wiring issue.

Does anybody have any suggestions 

kind regards & thanks in advance

Seamus

Your post states a 2014 Avensis, but your profile states 2008. Which is correct?

In this case, I'm referring to a 2014 Avensis, I do also have an 2008 ( no issue there though)

Since you only have the fault with the drivers window, I would start with the switch itself. Clean the switch area to see if any grit has for in. You may need to remove the switches. This  gives you a chance to look at the connection. The other item to look at is the wiring to the motor itself. This will be a door card off job. 

Thanks for the tip Konrad, I took your advice and googled a few Youtube videos on removing the window "master switch" (apparently this is whats it's called) . I then stripped it back as much as possible including removing the switch cover and any other non essential plastics and then temporarily re-plugged it into the door electrical connection...it works ... 

I'll do a little more investigation before I finally re-assemble everything up again.