Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid energy meter

Graham47

Only had my car about 3 weeks.

In that time this is the highest reading I’ve seen on the energy meter.

Is this the maximum reading ?  Should the (extra) block at the top be full ?  Looking in the handbook the illustrations aren’t very clear.

What is others experience ?

A9992868-ED55-43E9-A3F5-429DC1FCF434.jpeg

The Battery indicator normally varies and you shouldn't see now bars. You could see all the bars in certain situations, like going down very steep hills.
The hybrid system should prevent you from causing any damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ran 4 hybrids over the last few years, never seen that monitor go below 2 bars and very rarely does it get to full either.

Don't stress about it, just let the system look after the Battery.

If your force it into EV mode, the Battery may go lower than usual, but that is a false economy as the engine will then run for longer to get it into normal range.

In the end, I just left it in "D", never bothered with "B", "ECO" or "EV" in normal driving.

"EV" only used for 20 feet trips into and out of my garage, just to prevent the engine starting for a very short period.

• Thanks 1

On my 2013 version, I have only seen all the bars full once, on startup - it was very cold and I had parked up with all but one bar full. The Battery soon settled back to 'normal'. Normal, in my case is never lower than 2 bars lit and higher than the top 2 bars empty. Note that a downhill regenerative stretch will fill up to one top bar empty. Using the hybrid assistance app you will see that the car's software tries to keep the Battery charge between 40% and 60% - this gives Toyota its Battery longevity (10 + years).

Thanks all.

’I’m not stressing, just curious as I learn more about the system.

I’ve only seen as low as 2 bars, in a longish, slow, t/jam where system obviously only used Battery alone as I moved along, but was curious why one bar appeared never to be filled.

So far, I’ve never felt need to use EV and only ECO once to try the effect.

@Mike J., what is the “hybrid assistance app” ?

1 hour ago, Graham47 said:

…. what is the “hybrid assistance app” ?

If you have an android device go to google play and search for "hybrid assistance". Apple may also have it?

• Like 1

If you have an android device go to google play and search for "hybrid assistance". Apple may also have it?

Sadly there isn't a Apple version.
There isn't anything like it.

1 hour ago, Anthony Poli said:

Sadly there isn't a apple version.

True....unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Hi, the Battery condition gauge shouldn't show 'Full' once Battery has been used, as the system won't allow it other than a few minutes. This is to help prevent a a situation known as 'Thermal Runaway', where the Battery charge causes battery to heat up, as it heats up it increases it's charge and so gets hotter, and repeats on and on until it sets itself on fire. As said this is controlled by ICE system.😅😰 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

Sadly there isn't a apple version.

Do what I did - get a cheap (even secondhand) Android phone and keep it in the car doubling up as an emergency phone.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, martswain said:

I ran 4 hybrids over the last few years, never seen that monitor go below 2 bars and very rarely does it get to full either.

Don't stress about it, just let the system look after the battery.

If your force it into EV mode, the battery may go lower than usual, but that is a false economy as the engine will then run for longer to get it into normal range.

In the end, I just left it in "D", never bothered with "B", "ECO" or "EV" in normal driving.

"EV" only used for 20 feet trips into and out of my garage, just to prevent the engine starting for a very short period.

Agree in all you say, except we usually have a full Battery by the time we get home, as we live in a deep valley.

Mick.

Agree in all you say, except we usually have a full battery by the time we get home, as we live in a deep valley.
Mick.

These days I can manage that without the hills, won't be winning prizes for mpg. [emoji3]

Speaking of Hybrid Assistant, I'm loving Alessandro's sense of humour today! [emoji6]ba1bb84124c4e61ff61abe3d53bffe3d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Speaking of Hybrid Assistant, I'm loving Alessandro's sense of humour today! [emoji6]ba1bb84124c4e61ff61abe3d53bffe3d.jpg&key=b17779ac72f4cffbc31774123c9c421b50e3a877589f9bd4581b03fb0916eb68

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So I wasn't seeing things this morning then [emoji3]