Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk2 Yaris - Re-Affixing the Rear-View Mirror

Zoot7

The rear-view mirror in my wife's Mk2 Yaris (2006 Model) has come loose again. It's a little frustrating since it's really the only ongoing problem - the car is perfect otherwise.

It's not the first time to come loose. I managed to re-attach it with glue that I got from Halfords the first time, that saw it stay in place for a few months (which was enough to get it through the NCT) but it came loose again. This time I got my local Toyota dealer to re-affix it when I got it serviced with them earlier this year. I thought we wouldn't have to worry about it for a while, but then about 2 weeks ago, it came loose again. It stayed on for about 3 months this time.

See the photos below.

Questions:

• What's the best thing to do here? Just source a new mirror? Where would you get it? I'm thinking this is probably best since there's glue all over it now. I'm assuming I could get one that hasn't been glued yet? It'll be needed for the NCT test which is due in February.
  • Is it worthwhile getting a mirror from a newer model Yaris? Would the mirror be lighter and less likely to fall off after it's attached?
  • What's the best glue to use? Can the original OEM glue be sourced anywhere?
  • Also the metal part on the mirror fixture - My understanding is that normally you would glue this to the point on the windscreen and then just slide the mirror into that? This would be much easier to affix it to the windscreen rather than gluing the whole thing which is what was done previously. It's inseperable from the mirror now.
  • There's some hardened glue left on the mount point on the windscreen - what's the best way to remove this?

I'd appreciate any comments/help/insights anyone may have.

20181013_104203.jpg

20181027_133507.jpg

20181027_133513.jpg

20181027_133526.jpg

Try to scrape all the glue off and use 3m double sides stick pad. If that don't last try it in a new position next to the original. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-Glue-3044101-Heavy-Duty-Mounting/dp/B01FMXKIOM?pd_rd_wg=jFte9&pd_rd_r=f9b0a73e-f873-4740-833a-6a70a77fdec3&pd_rd_w=zL6a7&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=7C56XRPN48EA6ZFKG4V5&pf_rd_p=14f91171-0541-58ad-938b-3aec945f4cb7

Might be worth a try. I've found it to be more effective than 3M and it may be cut to size. I have a Dashcam mounted using it and it's remained in place on my windscreen for months.

If it doesn't work long term then it's not much money wasted and it could be used for other things too.

Hi, remove the windscreen adaptor first and allow any adhesive you use to do it's job before refitting the mirror on to it.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:45 PM, Bomber209 said:

Hi, remove the windscreen adaptor first and allow any adhesive you use to do it's job before refitting the mirror on to it.

That would require a new mirror given the windscreen adaptor is already stuck to the mirror.

Where would be the best place to get a new mirror? Just curious in hearing from others.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links