Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear bumper loose making car vibrate at low speeds

Dazzys

Hi All,

My daughters 2012 IQ rear bumper is loose at the bottom and this makes the whole car vibrate at low speeds. I've taken a look underneath the bumper and from what I can tell with my limited knowledge is that the 3 or 4 clips along the bottom edge of the bumper have come away / split. It seems to me that these are part of the moulding but surely that can't be the case as you would need to replace the entire bumper instead of a clip or two.

Can anyone help / advise what I should do?

Cheers

Daz

According to the manual there are only two fixings underneath. I think these are the plastic rivet type.

iQ Rear Bumper.png

Thanks Soeley for the reply. I'll have another check later next week but in the meantime I've attached a couple of photos I made a few weeks ago when she started to complain of vibration, etc.

947141582_ZK2.thumb.jpg.43b4cd139d5028abf39c65582e98c2b2.jpg1496247679_ZK3.thumb.jpg.2c2786e947411114ef474d48172b61a7.jpg323162809_ZK1.thumb.jpg.eca38466c19356aacdfafa75cd29e2d7.jpg

Looks like someone has gone into the back of her or she's reversed into something. Not enough impact to show any damage, but enough to snap off the two lugs. I would suggest maybe getting the lugs plastic welded back on, otherwise it is full bumper replacement. Failing that, a bodge would be to remove the plastic rivets and drill some holes half an inch from the edge of where the lugs have snapped and use a cable (zip) tie to secure it. Won't be seen from above.

• Like 1

So the bumper has snapped where the brackets attach? 

If they are both snapped it may have had a light knock in the rear or someone reversed into something causing them to break. 

Options are a new bumper or take the bumper off and reattach the brackets. I have done this quite successfully in the past using a soldering iron to melt the plastic back together. Sounds a bit dodgy I know but it can be done quite neatly with practice. I would then reinforce the area with some fibreglass mat and resin.

Craig.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the input. I find it amazing that something like this needs a whole bumper replacement. What a poor design. Nevertheless, do you have any pics of when you used a soldering iron to melt the plastic together or is there some kind of plastic glue I should go out and get?