Do Not Sell My Personal Information

White transparent tank beneath air box

Ian Harley

Hi, 

Does anyone know what the large white transparent tank is for beneath the air box at the front left hand side of the engine bay is for and how it functions? It feeds into the air box. The is on a 53 plate 1.8 vvt-i estate. Many thanks. 

1 hour ago, Ian Harley said:

Hi, 

Does anyone know what the large white transparent tank is for beneath the air box at the front left hand side of the engine bay is for and how it functions? It feeds into the air box. The is on a 53 plate 1.8 vvt-i estate. Many thanks. 

The air intake resonator. It is designed to lower the air intake noise/resonance. 
 AVENSIS |  AIR CLEANER

• Like 1

Thanks Konrad. That can go then 😀

Removing the resonator is a popular mod among certain tuners, however, doing so may reduce your power and increase noise. The reason why this may reduce your power is, explained in a simple manner, that the air flow will collide with itself, reducing the ammount of air that goes in to the engine when the intake is open. With the resonator, the air that bounces off the closed intake will have a place to go.

Idk if I explained it in a good way but if you want to dig deeper into the idea of resonators, I can provide you with an article or two.

• Like 1

Thanks xzirri. I have a K&N induction kit fitted. Intake temps rise when standing still, and never really get clause to ambient again. I'll remove the resonator and relocate the filter there with some silicone hose. 😀

Do you have any other mods on your car, or remapped the ECU to utilize the extra air flow? If not, I'm not sure you'd see any performance gain at all. Also, high air flow filters usually let more dirt fly past the filter and into the engine. If the filter is of the oily type, you might also end up with dirt on your MAF sensor. Just my .02 😜

• Like 1

Stage 2 crower cams, uprated springs, titanium retainers, ported and polished head, larger valves, Crower billet con rods, Wiseco forged 12:1 pistons, lightened and balanced crank, custom radiator, catch tank, and oil cooler, and Link ecu. 3bar MAP, and wide band lambda. Oil pressure and temperature sensors. Custom Vortex stainless Steel exhaust. When the cards are paid off, I'll get an exhaust manifold made, and either a new inlet manifold or throttle bodies. 

On 10/29/2018 at 2:43 PM, Ian Harley said:

Thanks xzirri. I have a K&N induction kit fitted. Intake temps rise when standing still, and never really get clause to ambient again. I'll remove the resonator and relocate the filter there with some silicone hose. 😀

On 10/29/2018 at 2:53 PM, xzirri said:

Do you have any other mods on your car, or remapped the ECU to utilize the extra air flow? If not, I'm not sure you'd see any performance gain at all. Also, high air flow filters usually let more dirt fly past the filter and into the engine. If the filter is of the oily type, you might also end up with dirt on your MAF sensor. Just my .02 😜

Can I add that you need to be aware of hydrolock, if the replacement induction kit is lower than standard intake. It may be less since the car is non turbo, but just be careful in heavy rain.
I also assume the car will have lowered suspension? 
I just realised that Ian had asked on The Avensis Facebook group too. 

• Like 1

I have BC Racing Coilovers fitted, but it's not lowered much. 10mm. The filter is higher than the old intake at the moment but will be lower once relocated. I'll duct air from beside the fog lights, but it won't be sealed. So no vacuum. There should be about 200 to 250mm clearance from road the the tip of the filter minimum. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 8:53 AM, Ian Harley said:

Stage 2 crower cams, uprated springs, titanium retainers, ported and polished head, larger valves, Crower billet con rods, Wiseco forged 12:1 pistons, lightened and balanced crank, custom radiator, catch tank, and oil cooler, and Link ecu. 3bar MAP, and wide band lambda. Oil pressure and temperature sensors. Custom Vortex stainless Steel exhaust. When the cards are paid off, I'll get an exhaust manifold made, and either a new inlet manifold or throttle bodies. 

That will bring your cars engine a little closer to my 1.8 Valvematic Tourer in power.  😁 

• Like 1

I'm hoping for close to 200bhp.  It made 167bhp with just the cams and head work, with small compression ratio increase with skim and thinner head gasket. Probably would have been cheaper to just drop in a 2ZZ.

• Like 1