Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing headlight bulb

Chriss27

Got some of these white effect headlight bulbs for 2016 Rav 4 and there is a red clip which needs to be removed to get access to bulb does this just slide down towards the wiring you can see underneath , don’t want to force it by pulling wrong way

E91B36BC-AD25-4EA7-B06B-81E99C87E381.jpeg

Press the piece of the connector marked with a star.  It is unlikely there will be a 'click' or anything useful to tell you that you have pressed it hard enough.

You are causing the hollow square above it to lift off the corresponding square tang on the bulb via a pivot that is half way along its length.  This sometimes works better if you press the clip (star) whilst pushing the connector further onto the bulb, to allow the plastic piece to lift and disengage, before then pulling down and off. 

It will be stiff - it has a rubber sealing washer inside that will stop it coming off easily.  Be prepared for it to come off suddenly (knuckles losing skin on something near?). 

Unless it is different to the one in this picture!

Connector11.jpg

Thanks that was easy once you know. Now what is the next stage as I have a black connector the red clip was attached to  which turns almost 90 degrees does this just pull out as I can see 3 screws attached to a metal surrounding so do these need to be removed. Thanks again 

7B76A8B1-F40B-4F57-9785-3069D7BA989D.jpeg

The bulb should turn counter clockwise and then pull out.

The full owners manual should help with things like bulb replacements, which one can download from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Thanks ok got it out didn’t want to force it out wrong way if you know what I mean. Is there a clip I should be pressing to get old bulb out of connector or is it just a case of pulling from base of bulb

image.jpg

That is the complete bulb.

I was thinking that as I have only been given the bulb not the plastic black connector that comes with it

What bulb have you been given?

Its a h7 12v  55w Phillips intense white xenon effect twin pack and got it online with a car parts website after discussing requirement with their chat service, it just doesn’t have the plastic black connector attached. 

Think that is the wrong bulb. Quite often third party sites don't have the correct info. I think it may be HB3, but download the full owners manual and check in there - https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

Yes I will thanks to all at least I know how to get the bulb out once I have the right one lol

The online supplier has given you the wrong bulbs, Facelift Rav4 uses either Fixed unserviceable LED on high spec models or HIR2 bulbs on models with Halogen headlamps, your Rav4 uses the HIR2 type bulb

If you wish to upgrade the bulbs, one could consider Toyota Optiwhite bulbs

That’s what I wanted frosty, thought I could get them cheaper than Toyota but look where that left me. Will call Toyota dealer tomorrow. I think I remember you saying you paid around £44 for a pair?

& the dealer may well fit for free ...

I had 10% off the price due to having a service plan.

4 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Thanks ok got it out didn’t want to force it out wrong way if you know what I mean. Is there a clip I should be pressing to get old bulb out of connector or is it just a case of pulling from base of bulb

image.jpg

That’s an HB3 main beam there should be a silicone O ring below the metal base. Osram make a much better bulb Night breaker unlimited, better or as good as the Toyota version at nearly half price. Auto Express do a good review on bulbs and Philips and Osram beat most other makes consistently. The dip headlamp uses an H11, it has a silver coating on the front to help with glare.

21 minutes ago, Phil T said:

That’s an HB3 main beam. Osram make a much better bulb Night breaker unlimited, better or as good as the Toyota version at nearly half price. Auto Express do a good review on bulbs and Philips and Osram beat most other makes consistently. The dip headlamp uses an HB4, it has a silver coating on the front to help with glare.

The HIR2 and the HB3 bulbs look very similar - I have just compared them. Although the one tab on the HIR2 is larger than the equivalent on the HB3, and from the photo, one cannot see what this tab is like.

HB3's are not just used for main beam - our 2015 I20 uses HB3's for dipped  beam and H7's for the steering headlights. For a definite confirmation which bulb the OP's car has, the underside of the bulb plastic socket will state which fitting the bulb is - either HB3 or HIR2.

If the bulb is HIR2, these are already approx 70% brighter than standard halogen bulbs (eg. H11, H7, HB3, etc). The Toyota Optiwhites, which are made by Philips, are 60% brighter than standard HIR2 bulbs. Osram do an upgrade HIR2 bulb, but that is only 30% brighter.

If the bulb is HB3, Toyota don't do an Optiwhite version, so the Osram, Philips, GE, Ring, etc, upgrade bulbs will be the brightest bulbs in this fitting. In the case of the bulb being HB3, one can look at the Auto Express 2018  test on bulbs to get an indication of which is brightest. See 

I take it all back, they must have changed the fitting with the facelift. HIR2 bulbs were not readily available In UK at one time. On an American review the HIR2 was compared to the HB3 and the output was very similar on the Philips. H7 and HB3/4 use the latest technology but the HB3 allows higher wattage. Bear in mind that these upgrades are only marginal, don’t expect HID or LED light output. If you compare a standard halogen to one of the latest, yes big improvement, but the offerings from the likes of Osram Philips and GE 90 100 110 130 % plus, there is little difference. In fact the latest Osram Night Breaker Laser came out worse than its predecessor, newest is not always best. As I used to commute on my bike at night I have always tried the latest lamps, cost a packet for little gain! I use a Philips H11 Ultinon LED main beam on my latest bike ( it was in the Rav originally) and it works much better with the different reflector.

Back to the original post, I doubt that if Philips are supplying the bulbs that they will be any different to the Toyota version, so it makes little sense paying Toyota prices. 

The big advantage that HIR2 bulbs had originally was the Infra Red  coating that reduced reflections and glare, but there is doubt that the latest ones have that.  So an HB3 should be as good and at 60 watts may be better. Get the file out!

HIR2.

If you just want a bluer/whiter light than halogen then Toyota may do an HIR2 Optiblue. If you want a brighter light than halogen (also slightly whiter but not as much as Optiblue) then Optiwhite (n.b. this will give you more light within the beam pattern but it won't change the beam pattern as that is down to the light unit/lens) .

https://www.toyota-europe.com/service-and-accessories/genuine-parts/optibright

25 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I doubt that if Philips are supplying the bulbs that they will be any different to the Toyota version

The standard HIR2 bulbs that Toyota use and the Toyota Optiwhite are both Philips bulbs. I have yet to see a UK retailer selling the Philips branded HIR2 +60% bulb. The Optiwhites have been available in the UK since late 2017.

Osram appear to have dropped their HIR2 +30% from the UK market, instead offering their Cool Blue Intense +20% (£26-33 a pair). PIAA offer a +%120 bulb (£40 pair) but this percentage is against a standard halogen rather than standard HIR2 bulb. 

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +110% in HB3 fitting are around £33 a pair. 

Mystery goes on as one Toyota dealer have called Toyota and are saying they are not available for my car and another has them in stock and adamant they will fit. Will let you know.

Try quoting the part number, which is for a pair of bulbs  T90981-YZZDN

49 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Mystery goes on as one Toyota dealer are saying they are not available for my car and another has them in stock and adamant they will fit. Will let you know.

Give me a ring, I will post a pair to you, 01978 720074

Kingo :thumbsup: