Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Climate control auto mode likes the windscreen

chrisgeary

I'm finding that now we're into the colder months, the climate control auto mode seems to want to send air to the windscreen only. It actually indicates windscreen and floor but mostly its windscreen. Is there a humidity sensor that governs this? I'm running with AC off, set at 22c and my windows are not fogged up for reference. The cabin temperature is fine except my feet are cold. If I manually select floor or face and floor, then I get warmth to my feet. If I manually select screen and floor, virtually no air is directed to the floor.

I have the same, i presume it's programmed to do so at certain outside temp's.  After it heats the inside of the car up, it automatically switches to front vents, or in colder months, feet and front vents.

There is not same amount of air going to feet and other vent selected. This is because let's presume it's -10, you feet are a bit wet, you go for a long 2hr drive, but you feet are blasted with hot air for a long time, making the situation worse.

it takes into account a no. of variables like interior temp. selected, actual interior temp., exterior temp etc. etc.

Although unrelated, you should ensure you use the AC regularly (best left on 24/7) to avoid future problems such as seal deterioration and consequent leakage of refrigerant.    

I think the climate control in my outgoing BMW E61 also preferred the windscreen if the humidity was high. I generally ran with the AC off in that car as well and the windows were usually not fogged up, so didn't need it. The climate control seemed happier with AC on so I know that car definitely did take humidity into account.

I do (and have always) run AC once or twice a month during the colder months for exactly that reason, preservation of seals. Otherwise, it's just wasted energy running it full time. Not to mention harder to keep bacteria free if the evaporator is permanently wet.

14 hours ago, chrisgeary said:

I'm running with AC off,

Leave the a.c. on. the climate control will take care of the temperature. Plus,the a.c. helps with demisting. You don't have to remember to give it a regular run either.

I set mine to 20 degC, auto, with a.c on permanently.  I occasionally have to increase the temp. setting if it is a bit too cold in the cabin. That also gives the blend doors and actuators something to do!

@mrpj  No thanks. It's just wasted energy running it full time. Not to mention harder to keep bacteria free if the evaporator is permanently wet. In my 3 decades on the road, I've never yet damaged an AC unit by not running it full time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links