Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter wheels / tyres

robwils

Second post (and first thread started).😋

Just bought a 2018 Aygo and thinking of getting winter wheels / tyres. 

Car currently sits on 15's . Looking at wheelbase when I select 15 in wheels it doesn't offer winter tyres, only on 14 and 16's .

Is there a reason for this ? and am I OK to either increase or decrease the wheel size to run 14 or 16 over winter, anyone else done this ?

Any advice appreciated.

Rob

My car has15 inch alloys on 

i use Continental eco  contact 5 tyres .... good all year round tyre 

I’ve never Changed to winter tyres .... I live in the northeast and we get some serious weather but not had  a issue with what I’ve got on 

try black circles website ... put your reg in and see what’s available for you 

Try Mytres.co.uk steel wheel Inc. winter tyre 15''.  Winter tyres are for all round use as compounds/tread pattern are different to summer tyres and perform better at lower winter temps. not just snow. If you want just 'snow' tyres they are a different animal. I have Nokian winter's on mine now till April then back to summer tyres. Even in the High Peak I don't need dedicated snow tyres. When snow gets to 8'' or more I don't even attempt to go out. I have just put Crossclimate+'s on my partners car and they will be fine all year round. (they are doing an offer at the moment for money back!) Hope you get sorted!😉

Thanks i dont think they do crossclimates in the correct size though. 

• 4 months later...

A few years ago, I bought Michelin Aplin tyres on 14" rims. I searched eBay for steel rims but got four from my Toyota dealer in Knaresborough for less; about £80 I think. The difference in traction in snow is astonishing.

• Like 1

If it helps . I had winter tyres on BMW 530d and VW Tiguan  both tyres were 1inch smaller . Both dealerships said “ they are smaller so snow chains can be fitted if needed” 

Never heard of that one before! The handbook of the car usually mentions snow chains and the suitable type. The tyres for the Aygo and our Honda CRV are the same size as the standard 'came with the car' tyres. I also have snow chains for the Aygo but have never needed them with winter tyres.

34 minutes ago, We-go said:

Never heard of that one before! 

Never heard that excuse for it either her but it used to be normal practice to use 1" smaller diameter wheels for winter tyres with a higher profile & narrower tyre. With modern tyre technology that is no longer required.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, just went with a set of genuine alloys from e-bay with winter tyres, bit more than I wanted to pay but used Paypal credit to spread burden 🙂