Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaking from back end on sharp right turn

GTB.photographic

My 2004 RAV4 (only just got it, so still a little unfamiliar with it) makes a creaking noise from the rear (not yet figured out the precise location / source of the noise) when performing a tight right hand turn. This is at both normal speeds (30mph) and lower speeds (maybe 10-15mph). Any suggestions as to what the cause may be before I drag the car back to the garage I bought it from (about an hour away, hence the questions first). The car has a recent MOT (September), so I doubt that anything has changed too drastically since then, but obviously want to be sure that the car isn't a death trap that'll lose a wheel and burst into flames etc... 😋

Any sensible suggestions or advice with regard to what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 😊

May be worth just getting a good torch and having a look at the coil springs closely, may be broken at the top or bottom difficult to see but they can break with just normal wear and tear, I replaced mine on my 2004 after it had around 70k miles . Not too expensive around £30 if I remember.

• Thanks 1

There are quite a few rubber bushes on the rear suspension that can creak and it might be difficult pinpointing the culprit. The rear door can creak because of a missing edge bumpstop or a loose plastic shroud at the bottom of the door. As a starting point, check the rear door then give all the bushes a dousing of WD40 to see if this stops the noise temporarily.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies - looks as though it was a combination of suspension bushes and a dodgy exhaust pipe. Currently being fixed by our friendly neighbourhood garage.