Sign in to follow this  
YarisHybrid2016

1.2T Engine Good?

Hi,

My sister is looking at an Auris with the 1.2T engine. I did try to persuade her to go hybrid, but she won't. Is the 1.2T engine reliable? I'm concerned about the turbo.

I didn't buy the 1.2T a couple of years ago as was concerned about reliability of what was a new engine.  Also didn't find it as smooth as the older 1.6 or the 1.8 of in the avensis - but I suspect I'd get used to it and smoother after a while.  

However, not seen any particular issues raised about reliability of the engine 3-4 years on so my concerns at that time would appear to have been unwarranted.  The lack of any responses to your query would also suggest people are generally happy.  If there were problems people are usually quick to let you know/vent frustration! 

If I was looking now I wouldn't be afraid of it anymore..........

Nothing adverse for the 1.2T in the Good/Bad section of the Honest John Auris review.

• Like 1

my concern with the 1.2t is that its a small engine having to pull a medium sized car

around and having to rev the little engine all the time to get it moving

i'd personally have a larger engine for this car i.e. the 1.8 hybrid that we have.

• Like 1

but it's a forced induction (turbo) 1.2 so has the power & torque of a larger normally aspirated engine. It has markedly more torque (which is the important bit for getting you moving) than the 1.6 Valvematic but not as much power.

• Like 1

yes but to get the power of the larger engine the 1.2 has to be revved all the time to keep

it in the power band once it drops out of the power band it will be pretty lame

many many years ago i used to have an Mg metro turbo and that was quick as hell

as long as you where giving it the beans

1 hour ago, eygo said:

yes but to get the power of the larger engine the 1.2 has to be revved all the time to keep

so use the torque not the power. It has a very flat max torque curve from  ~1500-4000rpm & something like 30% more torque than the 1.6 Valvematic. Turbocharging has moved on a bit since the 80s.

If she is looking at the Auris & won't go hybrid then the 1.2T is the only other  option available in the UK for the last few years.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

If she is looking at the Auris & won't go hybrid then the 1.2T is the only other  option available in the UK for the last few years.

The 1.2T became the only option to the hybrid from December 2017 - prior to this the 1.33 petrol, 1.4 and 1.6 diesels were also alternatives.

• Like 1

She's bought one - a 1.2T 16-plate Auris and loves it!!

It looks like the facelift update, Business Edition with nav, but no other options.

Good to hear there are no adverse reports with the engine.

Same engine in mine, can't fault it v smooth, enough power.