Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[Avensis 2.2 D4-D, 2012 ]Front lights are cutting off

I will stat at the begging that I'm not experience car user. I'm learning basics, but didn't get a chance to play about with lights apart from changing light bulbs

So one morning I've noticed that drivers side headlamp was off. I took the bulb, checked what one was (H11)  it and ordered a brand new pair of them (worked like £3 more to get two instead of just one). Same day, I was getting fuel and noticed in the reflections that the whole side (drivers) was not working. I thought that was weird for all the bulbs to go off. It was dark but what I've done was I took all the bulbs from that side out and put them back in. After that, the H11 that was off in the morning, started working again, but the LED (day running lights?) are off on both sides now. http://www.zercustoms.com/news/images/Toyota/th1/2012-Toyota-Avensis-Teaser-1.jpg - this is the ones I'm referring to. I checked fog lights, high beam - all working on both sides apart from the LED ones. I don't actually know how to get to them and what to do next to see what the problem is.. would highly appreciate if someone would be able to suggest the next steps as I dont really have the cash to take it to the garage for this. 

Thanks a lot.

Hi, welcome to TOC 🙂

Which trim grade is your car (there are different DRLs according to grade)?
Is it the bulb(s) & the light strip that is out or only 1 (hint: a picture/photo is worth a 1000 words)?

Guest fearofthedark

Its T27 - not sure if that's what you asking!

It is the bulb (above the headlight) and light strip that is not working! Indicators still working fine as well as headlamps. So normally if I have my car on Automatic lights, the strip and smaller light next the headlight would be on as well. It is not anymore. (I tired manual setting too, no luck)

Here is the picture, I used the red circles to mark the lights that are not working and as you can see the headlights are switched on!

Thank you. 

IMG_4996.jpg

is it a TR/T4/T-Spirit or what? e.g. The T-Spirit has LED DRLs plus the  light strip, the TR has a halogen main DRL bulb plus the light strip iirc.

Guest fearofthedark

How would I be able to check it? Sorry but I never came across TR/T4 etc. so not sure what it refers to nor where to find the info!

However, from your e.g. I believe it would be TR as it is H9 bulb + light strip. 

T2/TR/T4/T-Spirit are the specification/trim grades (from low>high). Your V5 etc. should tell you what trim grade iirc. or indeed if you have a MyToyota account that should tell you.

One other thing - the DRLs don't come on until you put the car in gear the first time, you aren't checking the lights before doing that are you?

Guest fearofthedark

Thanks for taking time to explain this to me.

MyToyota displays TR.

I have attached the picture of the DRL bulb that isn't coming on, but as you can see there is nothing wrong with it. 

Also, Ive recorded a quick video to show you what is going with the LED strip on when I switch the DRL manually: http://sendvid.com/jzqtg6jr

As you can see they are coming/flash on for 1 second and then they are cutting off.

What I have done today (another thing learnt) was to check the fuses. Unfortunately this wasn't the case as they were okay. 

IMG_4998.JPG

That DRL strip flashing on for a second then cutting out was exactly what our Avensis did when the main DRL bulb had blown. Even though the bulb may look OK it would be worth changing it to at least rule that out as the cause. Or It may be dirty contacts or a loose connection to the main bulb. 

The electrics on these seem to only switch the strip on when they detect the load from the main DRL bulb is correct. A faulty bulb or connection would presumably prevent that from happening. 

might be worth reading this 

Guest fearofthedark

Thank you both for the replies! I will try to spare some time tomorrow to have a lot at it. Hope the local EuroCarParts have some decent bulbs

PS. Am I allowed to take/try bulbs while the lights are on? Or am I risking some sort of contraction/short circuit? Reason I'm asking this, in case there is a problem with the wire it would be good if I could play about with the lights and see if they work if I move them. 

As long as you are careful and don't allow a bare positive lead or connector to come into contact with the metal bodywork you should be fine testing the bulbs with the lights on.