Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox dead

Rabster67

Evening all, been a lurker for a while and now have taken the plunge as I need your help/advice. I'll apologise now if this post is on the wrong page. My June 2013 Auris V-Matic Icon which I purchased with 20K on the clock from a Toyota dealer has been making a strange noise for a some time when I accelerate. I did mention it one time when it was in for a service at a Toyota dealer but was told they couldn't find an issue. Anyway, the noise has got worse and a pal of mine who owns a garage checked it out for me. He told me it was the gearbox on it's way out and take it back to the dealer. So today i dutifully went to the dealer who is part of the chain from where I brought it from who confirmed the gearbox is knackered and that a new one fitted would be £4200. My vehicle has only done 76500 miles, has a full service history (mostly Toyota) and is on a PCP plan with Toyota (I am due to change it in Feb 2019).

It is of course out of warranty (by 5 months) so I have been given the option of taking it away and sorting it out, elsewhere (not practical as handing it back in 3 months) paying the £4200 (no chance) or part exchanging it for a new Toyota however, I stand to lose approx £2900 off any final amount which was agreed when I took out the PCP due to the gearbox requiring replacing. So I am therefore not in a great position. This is my 6th vehicle from the same dealer over the past 18 years and despite me stating that the gearbox should not need replacing at 76500 and the service guy stating he has never heard of this happening on such a young car and that I had mentioned previously about the noise ,the dealer is not budging. They have said they would 'try' and see what they could do for me with regards a new vehicle. So far they have offered me a 2014 hybrid with 70K on the clock at £253 a month over 45 months which I politely declined.

So firstly, has anyone had an issue like this before with an Auris gearbox and if they have what advice would you give me to sorting out this mess without getting hammered by the dealer. Do I have a case?

Any advice gratefully received as I feel the dealer is holding all the cards despite and I am going to end up seriously out of pocket 

Normally if the car had a full Toyota service history and was outside warranty, I would suggest approaching Toyota for a goodwill contribution. A contribution isn't necessarily the full cost of repairs.

However, goodwill works both ways and as the car hasn't got a full Toyota service history, goodwill is unlikely to be offered.

Moved to the Auris club.

Gearbox noises is a very clear sign of something not working properly. It seems like you have been driving pretty much like normal for a long time, and only have asked the dealer once, what could be the matter?

Even when the noise gets worse over a period of time, you did'nt return to the dealer? 

Surely, the fact you've already reported it to a Toyota dealer (presumably within the 5 year warranty period) ought to count for something? Especially since, as it turned out, your suspicions were 100% right and their diagnosis ("there's no problem, sir") was 100% wrong? Where would we be if any dealer could "fail to spot" a developing problem on a car because it was nearly out of warranty? 

The RAC is generally quite good on this sort of issue. And so is Honest John. Or try the Motor Ombudsman (https://www.themotorombudsman.org/) for an opinion. They ought to know this kind of stuff, and it would be good to have them on your side.

Don't take no for an answer. Good luck.

I would contact Toyota GB customer service and explain the situation to them.  Your 18 years of Toyota ownership must carry serious weight there (but your non-Toyota services on this car will work against you, of course, from a goodwill point of view).  Apart from your time you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by ringing them!  Worth mentioning that you are looking to get your next Toyota soon, too.

I think I am correct in saying that Toyota GB will instruct the dealer what to do in this situation, and if they have failed to respond to a problem whilst under warranty, Toyota may look to the dealer to provide a contribution to the repair on account of their earlier lack of action, as well as Toyota picking up the rest of the balance.  Of course there are no certainties in this type of situation.

It would be useful to know if there is a technical bulletin for your problem, as I think this would make it more likely for Toyota GB to put their hand-up on your fault when it is just out of warranty.

My guess is that the dealer, 18 years ago, was called Richard Tebbutt?  If so, their recently not being able to find a fault would fit in with expectations.

HTH

12 hours ago, Gerg said:

I would contact Toyota GB customer service and explain the situation to them.  Your 18 years of Toyota ownership must carry serious weight there (but your non-Toyota services on this car will work against you, of course, from a goodwill point of view). 

Yes, a non-Toyota service would perhaps count against a goodwill payment. But it surely shouldn't count against the main point, which is that the Toyota dealer really should have identified the problem when it was first reported during the warranty period? (Or else it should be carrying the can for not having identified it at the time?)

There's a pretty important point of principle here. If I take my car in to the dealer during its warranty period with a whining noise (for example) and if he says he can't hear it (or just "it's normal, sir") - and if it then turns out to be the beginnings of an early bearing failure (or whatever) - then the manufacturer has saved itself the cost of fixing my car within the warranty period. And that would just make a joke of the five year warranty, wouldn't it?

As for the gearbox fault, I'd very much doubt whether the independent garage service would have gone anywhere near the box at all - they don't usually, and certainly not on a manual. The only fly in the ointment would have presumably been if the independent had failed to spot a low gearbox oil level or a leaky driveshaft seal?

Either way, I agree with Gerg that the best approach for the OP would be to go straight to Toyota and blather a bit about what a loyal customer he is. The nuclear option would be to engage the local trading standards officer, who does have some teeth - but the ombudsman should also be able to help. It does, however, say that it won't get involved unless you've given the dealer/manufacturer eight weeks to respond satisfactorily. With a lease period currently expiring, that might be getting a bit tight. :unsure:

As before, good luck