Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol Consumption Poor

chana100red

On average I get about 200 miles on fuel from full to empty on a 1.8 petrol engine.  Had regular service and recently oil and filter changed by the dealer.

i am not sure where to start with diagnosing the cause as I expect this car to give me a return of 300 miles on a full tank.

has anyone got any idea or something I can do to get this rectified?

thanks

dee

A lot of questions to ask. How long have you owned the car, what type of driving is the car doing, and apart from oil and filter service, have you also changed the air filter and spark plugs? Tyre pressures and carrying extra weight will also affect the cars fuel economy. 
Other possibilities could be binding brakes. 
I had a friend who owned a 57 plate, estate version of your car and was getting near to 40 mpg. My friend now has a Prius. I drive a 58 plate Mk3 1.8 and get over 37 mpg. I get close 400 miles per tank and fill an average of 47 litres. 
Something must be out. Any check engine lights?

Thanks Konrad 

just me driving on my own.  Tyres are at right pressure psi. Air filter and sparks yet to be changed this month as it is due for service. Brakes seem ok although they seem uneven when I brake.  May get them changed as well as the discs and pads.

completed 219 miles on full tank and this is no way correct.  Had the car for 3 months and is a 2 owner car including myself.

hope the injectors are clean as this might be a cause too.

cheers

dee

Wow, 200 miles is really low. How much is it? 20 mpg or so? 

The only thing I know about, is that a broken lambda sensor can increase fuel consumption by 50-100%

Hey - thanks for your message.  The fuel is somewhat an issue and will be taking it to a local garage - a good one! to investigate...

Am surprised as I had 2.0 litre version T-spirit and gave me 320 miles full tank.  Very odd why my current T3-X is producing poor mpg.

Someone mentioned about fuel injectors clogged up?  Don't know how accurate that could but will also mention the lambda sensor when I go and see the Mechanics today.

Thanks

dee

2 hours ago, chana100red said:

Hey - thanks for your message.  The fuel is somewhat an issue and will be taking it to a local garage - a good one! to investigate...

Am surprised as I had 2.0 litre version T-spirit and gave me 320 miles full tank.  Very odd why my current T3-X is producing poor mpg.

Someone mentioned about fuel injectors clogged up?  Don't know how accurate that could but will also mention the lambda sensor when I go and see the Mechanics today.

Thanks

dee

Hi again Dipak. I notice you have the the pre-modified 1.8 1ZZ engine. Since you previously owned another version (2.0l vvti), I hope you are clued up on the oil burning issue which affected 1.8 vvti from 1999 - 2005. The engine was modified late 2005. With that knowledge I would go for facelift 2006 on. How is your engine low level. Do you check it regularly and do you need to top it up? If yes to the last question you have a bad example! Not all engines suffered from high oil consumption, and it is possible that your engine is one of those with no issue at all. It could be that the engine was replaced under warranty that was in operation at the time. Let's hope your engine is a good one. Also the 1.6/1.8 ZZ engines are a different design to the 2.0 AZ engine which is direct fuel injection. You never mention if the EML illuminated - briefly until the engine has started (check mode), and on permanently with the engine running (fault). If it does not light at all, then the bulb is either blown or missing!   

Hi konrad,

Thank you for the information above and I certainly was unaware of these models as I did not do further research as I am usually do.  Yes your right the VVTI is a better spec and uprated engine and will decide on the future of this car.  My aim is to get some idea from my mechanic on what to do and if it looks to be an expensive fix then I will most definately look at getting a T-spirit.

I must admit that I do not check my engine levels and now that you have mentioned it I will look at this during my lunch hour.  I cannot tell if th EML is luminated on start-up.  i will also check the EML lights up or not and if it does not then will get my mechanic to check this when he puts it on diagnostic if it will show up with anything.

• Like 1