Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 GS 1.3 alarm system

VosperD

Does anyone have any info regarding the alarm system fitted to this car? Newly acquired and no driver's manual as yet.

When I use the key rather than the fob the extreamly piercing alarm sounds. Using the fob all is ok. I guess i should be able to use the key when necessary as fobs can fail or run out of Battery from time to time.

Any setting up instructions would be welcome. I guess disabling it altogether might not be an option  as it appears to  be a factory firred item with this model.

Don

Bristol

Just noticed that the interior light isn't coming on when I open the  driver's door. According to  result of searches this could be relevant. If i wiggle the button on the door pillar it's internittent so I'm looking at that. hoping it's that simple!

Replaced the two front door courtesy light swiches and interior light works now.

As the key fob has seen better days  I looked into getting a replacement.

I contacted a local Toyota agent who said that the key fobs were not obtainable for cars of that age.

Even if they could get one they couldn't guarrantee to program it for my car ( apparently still leaving me with a big biil)

The advice was to not use the fob but stick to the key because if the fob fails after locking the car the alarm will sound and presumably demobilise the car if subsequently unlocked with a key. It would appear the the alarm system cannot be programmed out.

I have had a few views to this post although no replies but I hope this info is interesting to some owners.

By the way I took the faulty switch apart, after I got the replacement and the contacts just crud up. There doesn't appear to  be a way of getting any contact cleaner to the contacts but a scrape with a screwdriver did the trick.

Don

Why not try an auto locksmith or Timpsons. 

Did try Timpsons plus a few other auto locksmiths I found on the internet but all came back negative. Most said it was too old.

We'll stick to the keys for now although the fob does still work. Never know, someone might start making them again.

I don't know if the 2001 Yaris I have originally had a fob but it came without one . Quite used to using keys as these are the newest cars that I have owned.

Cheers

Don