Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puzzling double beep - help please?

GreenJuice

I have just started getting some intermittent 'double beeps' or 'double toots' in the car (UK based, Prius Excel 2016 with Touch 2 & Go). If you have heard anything like this, please give me an idea what might be the cause, so I can stop it!

I have a recording of it here:
Prius Double Beep.m4a

It may be only a coincidence, but it started after I upgraded the Navigation system from the original 2016 version to version 6.11.2WH; and was the first software upgrade I have installed. 

There is no visual indication of what the problem is on any display anywhere on the dash or on the navigation head unit. The car is otherwise behaving normally.

It only happens when the car is moving but seems unrelated to the actual speed and so far it seems to be on larger non-residential roads, although that might be a coincidence. The occurrence otherwise appears random. I can get it 2 - 3 times within a minute or just once in 20 - 30 minutes. It has happened at least once on almost every trip over 15 minutes I have made, since the software upgrade. 

I have managed to test and eliminate the following as possible causes by checking the status or activating/deactivating each in turn:
1. Low fuel
2. RSA (road sign assist)
3. Lane Sway Warning
4. Lane Departure Alert
5. BSM (blind spot monitor)
6. ICS (Intelligent Clearance Sonar)
7. Park Assist
8. PCS (Pre-Collison System)

Many thanks!

Sounds like a phone/bluetooth type beep to me. Try the same journey without your phone or with it switched off.

• Like 1

I think it might be the safety camera warning. Can be turned off. If you have the map showing, look for a slightly fuzzy camera-ish symbol in the bottom right corner, and there will also be symbols on the map itself. If you don't have the map showing, as far as I remember there's no warning message to tell you why it's beeping.

PS Just spotted this thread in Priuschat:

https://priuschat.com/threads/uk-owners-speed-camera-alerts-after-update.175217/

• Like 2

That's what I was going to suggest - warning of speed cameras....It started suddenly on our RAV4 and it took us a while to work out what it was. Haven't found it yet on our PHV....

• Like 1

Deffo Gatso warning. On my Prius 4 the warning dropped below the navigation messages, for no obvious reason,  so to get speed camera warnings it was either turn the navigation directions  sound up to bl..dy loud or use a map! On the PHV it's just right, and you can adjust the distance to warnings, the old Prius gave a warning at 500 yards. By the time you got to the camera you had forgotten about the warning. Good job I never go over the speed limit 😈

• Like 1

More than just Gatso. It covers red light cameras as well. Not sure about box junction ones, though. There's a section of the Battersea Park Road where mine went absolutely ape**** with a combination of speed and signal cameras and bleeped multiple times for about 3 minutes in stop-start traffic.

• Like 1

It also covers bus lane cameras.

and yet I thought something that alerted to speed cameras was illegal in the UK?

• Like 1

Thanks: I bet it was bus lanes cameras that sent mine doolally.

Ban was proposed, but never happened. Clear current guidance from Ask The Police (Police National Legal Database): 

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q367.htm

Not sure what the status of mapping locations, as opposed to devices that actually detect radar, might be if a ban is ever enacted.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HughL said:

I think it might be the safety camera warning. Can be turned off. If you have the map showing, look for a slightly fuzzy camera-ish symbol in the bottom right corner, and there will also be symbols on the map itself. If you don't have the map showing, as far as I remember there's no warning message to tell you why it's beeping.

PS Just spotted this thread in Priuschat:

https://priuschat.com/threads/uk-owners-speed-camera-alerts-after-update.175217/

Thank you HughL and everyone else! That makes a lot of sense now. I do get a camera symbol (not fuzzy on mine) in the bottom right corner of the central console screen, but nothing on the map itself.

I had forgotten about that thread. This was my first software map update since I got the car in 2016. Seems like there was a change included in these map updates and the single pips were changed into these double beeps/pips/toots. It also makes sense that the warnings cover more than speed cameras, but also red lights and bus lanes. Because I am experiencing much more now, I also wonder if the newer maps have a lot more locations registered than before. 

Congestion in the parts of London that I mostly drive in provide few if any opportunities for speeding or shooting red lights! I need to find a way of switching this audible warning off or at least turning the volume down. At this time, I cannot find anything in the menu system of the central console to make adjustments. 

Its linked to the voice in the guidance. I had the problem that to hear the directions information at a reasonable sound level the beep beeps were inaudible. To hear the beeps the directions guidance were very b....   loud. 

On the satnav/radio screen

1 Display the general settings screen and select “Volume settings”.

2 Select the item to be set. 

■SAFETY CAMERAS DISPLAYING VARIOUS INFORMATION ON THE MAP Various information can be displayed on the map. The speed limit of the road currently being travelled on can be displayed. Buildings can be displayed in 3D on the map. Landmarks can be displayed in 3D on the map. Safety cameras can be displayed as icons on the map. INFORMATION ● The above items will be displayed depending on the map scale. ● The above items will be displayed depending on the available map data. ● The displaying of the above items can be switched off. (→P.133)

P 133

1 Press the settings (cog wheels) button. 2 Select “Map”. 3 Select the item to be set.

Select to set the display of the safety cameras icons on/off. 183 Select to enable using online data to show the safety camera icons. (linked to phone internet data, needs to be set up)

Hope this helps