Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Glow plugs for Toyota Auris 2007 2.0 D4D - Brand Recommendation

lalitp

Hi All,

My good old Auris around 88000 miles completed. It is giving me starting problem in the cold weather when the temperature is 3-4 degrees or below it.

Battery was changed last year.

Steps I follow to start:

1. Put the key in the ignition wait for 2-3 mins for glow plugs to heat

2. Turn off the ignition - 10 -20 seconds

3. Turn on the ignition - wait for 1 min

4. Turn off the ignition - 10-20 seconds

5. Turn on - wait for 30 seconds and crank it

I see a loads of white smoke while it is trying to start. I had to keep it trying for around 10-15 seconds till it starts and it puffs a lot of white smoke during and after the start. After sometime everything goes ok - no white smoke. MPG and car runs absolutely fine with no problem at all.

I saw one of the video on youtube that Glow plugs may be an issue as during the fairly higher temperature say above 9-10 degrees it just starts ok in first crank.

What I want is a recommendation for glow plugs brands and where to buy them from; I can then ask my local mechanic to fir it for me.

I found below Bosch ones from Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Glow-Plug-GLP043-0250203001-x4/182019482155?epid=249444219&hash=item2a6134e22b%3Ag%3A2fQAAOSwFMZWqqJd&fits=Car+Make%3AToyota%7CModel%3AAuris%7CCars+Year%3A2007

I dont know whether they are correct or not.

Can anyone please recommend or direct me to appropriate website to find out what glow plugs are best suited for my Auris.

I am sorry if this is discussed before.

Thank you.

Lalit

Hey there,

Why are you waiting so long before cranking? Glow plugs only start heating up once the key is in the "last" position before starting, and in 3 to 4 degree temperature it would take glow plugs no more than 5 seconds to heat up and turn off, which is signalled by the coil icon on the panel going off. Once the coils are gone you need to crank the engine, no waiting since the cylinders are going to cool down again.

Basically the procedure is:

1. Plug the key in and turn to the last position (is it called ON? can't remember)

2. Watch for the coil icon on the panel. As soon as it's gone start cranking the engine.

I think in weather like this it shouldn't even take glowplugs to start a diesel engine in working order. A lot of people have reported that you can even go the whole winter (UK winter probably which is what, more rain?) with half the glowplugs not working.

Try the procedure I wrote and if you see an improvement it might just be the glowplugs but I would go through the whole routine diagnosing everything else, too.

As for the brands I'd say go with OEM, so probably Denso. When it comes to all things engine it's not the right time to start saving cents.

1 hour ago, Byzii said:

Glow plugs only start heating up once the key is in the "last" position before starting, and in 3 to 4 degree temperature it would take glow plugs no more than 5 seconds to heat up and turn off, which is signalled by the coil icon on the panel going off. Once the coils are gone you need to crank the engine, no waiting since the cylinders are going to cool down again.

Usually glow plugs have afterglow ie they continue to heat/glow for a short while even after the engine has started. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links