Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of buying an older Prius?

peter.ling24@gmail.com

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate your advice on buying a Prius please. Have seen several vehicles for sale around the 2005, 2006 era with about 60-70,000 miles. I appreciate these are older cars. I drive about 4,000 miles a year. Have an Avensis and Aygo at the moment both older and very reliable cars. Obviously I'm buying an older car that's seen perhaps better days.

Is this a viable consideration or shall I just keep saving?

Taking a test drive, might give you a clue to a Battery that is getting tired.
Poor mpg, won’t run on electric or doesn’t last for very long when it does.
Service history as in paperwork, might help to assure you or put you off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When the wife and I go back to Warrington, where we lived for 41 years, there are loads of Gen2 Prius taxis (06-08 plate). Last visit I must have seen 10 or so, mostly black.   This tells me something - taxi drivers love them and they must be running well for them to keep them on the road, after all they cant afford the car off the road.  Like them, you just got to search out a good one, and they will be out there no doubt about that.

Thank you Anthony appreciate your advice.

Thank you Joe.

A taxi driver told me that he has had 5. He wouldn't buy anything else. Prius drivers generally have their vehicles serviced at a dealership anually. I suppose perhaps the best thing would be to buy from a dealership and buying extended warranty?

Appreciate your comments Joe.

Regards peter

In Jan this year I bought privately a 59 plate Prius Gen3 T-Spirit. It had 105k miles on the clock, and for the last 2 years was owned by a taxi driver and he done almost 50k miles in that period.  Service book at 10 stamps in, 8 dealer, 2 non dealer garages, plus paper work showing what had been done. Had been serviced and Mot'd Dec/Jan with 2 new tyres.  Cost me £5750, then I spent £360 having the 4 alloys refurbished.  Thats the sort of deal you looking for.  Loved it so much I traded it in July agains a 2 year old Gen4.

Happy hunting.

Hi Joe,

That seems a very reasonable price to me. Did the Battery perform well?

I do find the drivers seat cover material is often well worn and creased. 

Glad you found a genuine example.

Regards 

Peter.

Yes the Hyb Battery was no problem. Over the 5000 miles I had the car it averaged 66.6 mpg. When the previous owner had the service done Dec17/Jan18 at a Toyota dealer he had the free Hybrid Battery heath check done which gives you an extra year warranty (up to 10 years). Costs £40 if done without the service.

I would recommend purchasing only from a Toyota Dealer. The car should have a full recorded history. Dealer can ensure any minor damage is sorted out and give a decent warranty. The hybrid Battery check should have been done at each service. The Prius does hold its price very well. You can purchase from any Toyota dealer but then have any servicing etc done by your local Toyota dealer. If the car has been cared for the upholstery should not be a problem, especially if you get one with leather upholstery. I have owned several Prius cars all have been excellent. My son regularly uses his Prius 10 plate to go to Europe on business he changes the tyres to Winter tyres at this time of year. The Prius is no good in snow and ice unless you have snow tyres. Keep us informed of how you get on.

So, does one buy a used car privately or from a dealer. My experience buying privately earlier this year was very positive, whilst Chris Dance is extolling purchasing only from a Toyota dealer. I no doubt each of us will have stories to tell about experiences, good and bad, when buying privately or from dealer. 

When I bought my gen3 privately in Jan18 I paid £5750 for a 59 plate 2010 with 105,000 fully serviced, 11 month mot vehicle and it proved to be one of my best second hand buys I ever done, privately or dealer purchase. Following me raving about Prius hybrid cars to a friend, he did his own research and decided to go for one. He bought a 60 plate with about 60,000 miles from a Toyota dealer and not too happy with what he got, and it cost him over £4000 more then I paid. Whilst promised body marks would be sorted, they were not. Promised a full valet, which was lacking in detail. It had been a smokers car, and whilst a smoke bomb had been used the head lining was still very stained. And the worst thing, at least one seat belt was so badly frayed the dealer has now accepted it would not pass a MOT test and has replaced. Whilst my engine didn’t use any oil over the 5000 miles I did (taking it to 110,000 miles) his car with only 60,000 miles is using oil which is noticeable as a drop in levels on the dipstick, and that’s in just a few thousand miles - and don’t forget probably 40-50% of that mileage has been done without the engine rotating ie on electric only.

i not saying never buy from a dealer, nor only buy privately. What I am saying, whether buying privately or through a dealer, is make sure you getting good value for money. Not all private sellers are rip off merchants, and not all dealers have a halo above their doors either. Buyer beware in all circumstances.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, Joe. There is merit in what you both say.

The staff at my local Toyota garage here in Boston have always given me excellent service. I've bought both in the past privately and from a dealership. Buying privately you hope the seller is honest and fair. That's a rare thing these day's? Buying from a dealership gives you the added advantage of hopefully buying warranty but will cost you more overall as they have to make a profit. As I intend to buy older maybe that option of warranty perhaps won't be available to me? 

Very much appreciate both your comments.

Regards

Peter

I doubt whether many Toyota dealers would have 2005/6 Prius (as specified by the OP) on the forecourt today. Just possibly, but only relatively low mileage examples with full dealer history, in which case should be a good buy, allbeit relatively expensive.

It's always worth checking on the the Govt. MOT history site too, before any possible purchase (or Cazana).

Perhaps a good time to look is on the run up to a new number plate registration date. As has been said, its unlikely to see a gen2 Prius for sale at a main dealer, but, sellers looking to move onto a newer car still have to sell on their gen2. So get friendly with a dealer who maybe be able to pass you on to someone looking to sell gen2, or keep an eye on AUtotrader etc, go and see some, test drive, look at service records etc, then you know what you will be looking for when a good one comes along. I have seen some very good gen2 for sale with 50k miles, good body and looking good etc.

Thank you David, joe. I will do as you suggest. Will continue to look and research and have a test drive.

appreciate your time and help.

regards

peter