Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Second key issue starting car on yaris

Chriss27

Does anyone know why the second remote key does not always start the car ie turn the key in ignition and nothing. You have to take the key out of the ignition and press door unlock button on fob and reinsert to start the car. There is no issue with key unlocking the doors and the other key is fine? Is it just a new Battery needed or something else ?

On 11/11/2018 at 10:04 AM, Chriss27 said:
Does anyone know why the second remote key does not always start the car ie turn the key in ignition and nothing. You have to take the key out of the ignition and press door unlock button on fob and reinsert to start the car. There is no issue with key unlocking the doors and the other key is fine? Is it just a new battery needed or something else ?

Is it something that happens every time or intermittently?

I am wondering if there is something wrong with the transponder in the key, like it’s damaged or faulty and not communicating with the car properly. Taking the key out and putting it back in is either giving the car another go or the key is getting a physical jolt and that’s helping.

Key start systems don’t need the Battery as the key is closer than push button systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Anthony it doesn’t happen all the time, maybe 70% of the time. It’s my daughters car and she only had it 3 weeks (65 reg) she has the main key and I only use second key when I need to move her car. Back to the dealer I guess

Just to cover all bases... and assuming its a manual and all that. 

If you only use your key to move the car now and then, well are you sure your pressing the clutch all the way down first. Sorry, had to ask. Try swapping keys and see if your daughter has the same problem.  

I have the same issue when driving son's yaris occasionally. Driver error.. 

Im going to have to admit driver error here too. Obviously wasn’t pressing clutch all the way to floor. So use to start stop systems and automatics. I guess this is a safety thing as back in the day if u did that the car would ‘jump’ forward when trying to start in gear 

Pleased to hear that's all it was... yes its a safety thing and its surprising just how far you have to depress the pedal to activate the switch.