Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Aygo side protections

zuh

Hi,

In a near future, I am going to replace my Aygo with the latest one.

On the latest Aygo, I noticed that plastic side protections were installed very low, at the threshold level. Please see this picture showing a 2014 Aygo on the left and a 2018 Aygo on the right:

aygo.jpg.4e6f0cd0dd89e5bf1fe466d92aa4e113.jpg

I do not fear hitting other cars because I always take care not to. What I fear is being hit. Of course, the new layout looks less obtrusive and more stylish, but with the protections that low, I doubt they offer any protection at all. To protect the Aygo efficiently, these parts should be installed at the widest and most exposed part of the body, which is a little higher on the doors.

Did you ask Toyota to stick your protections higher?

Did you try to use side protections from the 2014 Aygo on the 2018 Aygo?

Did you find other standard aftermarket parts on the Internet?

Thank you!
Have a good day,

Personally I think these are pretty ugly and ultimately ineffective against protecting the side of the car from impact of doors , shopping trolleys etc.   Logic suggest they should be placed on the highest point of the door but  that would only protect against one specific scenario where the neighboring car door etc is EXACTLY at the same level.  A shopping trolley could hit anywhere on the car body ( as could a door) The chances of it hitting the protective strip are practicality zero.

My tip, put the money you would have spent  on  having them fitted in a safe place and then if someone carelessly opens their door against  your Aygo  get the dent expertly  removed for about 40 quid  by a smart repair technician. It will take them less than 10 minutes and be invisible.

I think it’s style over substance really. You either like the look of them so add them or you don’t. Not sure anyone thinks they actually do what they look like they do. Bit like indicators on a BMW. Look ok but not really to be used.

• Haha 1

Thank you for your answers!

@Dark Matter you're absolutely right, it might be cheaper to eventually repair the dents and scratches. But these hugh flat body panels look so vulnerable, psychologically I feel better with these protections mounted on.

@LNT987 😄 Yes, I know the meme:

if-you-ever-feel-useless-remember-that-somebodys-job-is-to-install-turn-signal-systems-at-bmw-indicators.jpg

13 hours ago, zuh said:

Thank you for your answers!

@Dark Matter you're absolutely right, it might be cheaper to eventually repair the dents and scratches. But these hugh flat body panels look so vulnerable, psychologically I feel better with these protections mounted on.

@LNT987 😄 Yes, I know the meme:

if-you-ever-feel-useless-remember-that-somebodys-job-is-to-install-turn-signal-systems-at-bmw-indicators.jpg

I have the same concerns on my Auris Sports tourer  big flat panels . £100 to have the side strips fitted or take a change and repair if needed 

Unless you find them ugly, I would definitely buy the strips.

You will feel reassured to park between two cars. I agree these are not 100 % useful, but I am sure they offer some protection. Without these equipped, I am sure that my car would be dented already.

It is a problem with many Toyotas: they have huge unsculpted body panels that seem unfit for city driving. The other problem is that depending on the color of your car and the light, the slightest imperfection can be visible.

1 minute ago, zuh said:

It is a problem with many Toyotas: they have huge unsculpted body panels that seem unfit for city driving. 

Not just Toyotas, but the majority of manufacturers. Some manufacturers don't offer side mouldings as an option.

Yes, you're right!

And standard mouldings that are not designed by the manufacturer specifically for a model often look bad.

I know that in some countries (Germany...) people take care about cars, but I do not live in one of those.