Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2 problems - doors and window

pra

I don't know if these two problems are connected, but they seem to have happened at the same time. Please help

1. The car won't lock - the Battery in the key is ok. The car makes a little clunking noise like the doors are locking, but they are not.

2. The front passenger window won't go down. The driver's side is ok !

I didn't say - it is a Yaris, hybrid, automatic

And gosh, at one point I was trying 'lock' from inside the car. What would happen if it suddenly locked and wouldn't unlock ? And the windows wouldn't go down either - I would be stuck inside the car in the garage, and no-one would know ! I won't try that again.

Edited by pra
Suddenly realised the danger of what I did - still have the problems

As regards the windows, have you depressed the window isolation button on the driver's door - the button with the window symbol crossed through.

Enough people have told m about the window lock button, so I am ok there ( when I was a boy if my dad had said don't open the window, I wouldn't have opened the window )

Now the locking - I reversed out of the garage today, got out of the car and tried the remote locking - it didn't work.

I washed the car

I tried the remote locking again - it worked. Unbelieving - I unlocked and locked again

Now I have booked it in to my Toyota dealer on Thursday - I can imagine going to collect it - " err Mr x, we can't find a problem, that's 120 pounds please " Should I cancel ?

Wait until it happens again - intermittent problem - or wait until next service and ask them to absorb some of the 120 pounds ?

8 hours ago, pra said:

And now the little 'mechanical' manual key does not work !

Do you mean that you can't lock/unlock the car using a mechanical key in a lock?

I wonder if your two problems are related.  If a door is open I'm pretty sure the locks won't engage (but will probably click) - perhaps the car thinks a door is open. And perhaps it's a wiring problem (or a cable not plugged in properly) which might also explain the faulty window.  Do the interior lights work ok with opening/closing the doors?

• Like 1

Ta, no the window was my fault - I hadn't realised there was a button.

And the door key - yes the mechanical key would not work, so took it into dealer, they tried it and agreed something was wrong, and when I collected it, they said the mechanism inside the door was out of alignment. So now all sorted, thanks

But its made me think ( nothing to do with the car ) - what's the most sensible thing to do with the spare key - keep it in the car, at home, or on one's person ? Or would it be better to have two spare keys ? Or three ? It would be interesting to hear people's view on this, so I'll start a new thread - "Spare Keys" ( non-techy,  but the older you get, the more you mislay things )

9 hours ago, pra said:

Ta, no the window was my fault - I hadn't realised there was a button.

And the door key - yes the mechanical key would not work, so took it into dealer, they tried it and agreed something was wrong, and when I collected it, they said the mechanism inside the door was out of alignment. So now all sorted, thanks

But its made me think ( nothing to do with the car ) - what's the most sensible thing to do with the spare key - keep it in the car, at home, or on one's person ? Or would it be better to have two spare keys ? Or three ? It would be interesting to hear people's view on this, so I'll start a new thread - "Spare Keys" ( non-techy,  but the older you get, the more you mislay things )

I bet that there isn't a single Toyota owner that hasn't had that happen to them in the past! 🙂

We have the spare key behind the kitchen door on a hook.  If you lost the key when you were out miles away, how do you get home?  Public transport or a taxi or a friend?  At least when you do eventually get home, you can take the spare key and go back to collect your car.

The last car we had only had one key, and it was never ever an issue.

Mick.

I'd definitely not keep the spare key in the car. Imagine locking yourself out.............................

The missus has the other key. It means if we're together there's a backup, if not together it means getting to wherever the other one is.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links