Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does the owners club no longer have a parts page?

Petlew

I ask as if it has I can't find it.

I'm not even sure the part I'm looking for would be available anyway.

On most Avensis models there is an overhead switch consul that houses among other things the interior alarm.

Some while back the three position door open, on, off switch failed. The central spike retainer had broken off, don't know how as its only ever left in one position. Whilst trying to remove the plastic cover plate, I managed to break a couple of the retaining clips, and caused a break across the weakest part of cover by the light lens. It was quickly seen the the cover is designed to be placed on once, but is too fragile to successfully remove without breakage.

Fortuitously, my regular breakers were breaking up an Avensis of the same year, and were happy to send me the part, including the whole interior mounting plate from underneath the cover, from which I was able to repair the broken switch. But guess what, they  in spite of being warned of the extreme fragility of the cover, broke it in exactly in the same place I did. I managed to effect repairs to both covers using a substance called MEK (methyl ethyl kertone), serious plastic kit modellers use something similar instead of plastic cement. Unfortunately the tension of the fixing clips remaining was too much for the small area of the repair, and has broken and been re-fixed several times.

So I decided today to swallow my pride and approach my local Toyota main dealers parts department. Now get this: for this less than a pounds worth of plastic (it does include the interior alarm sensors and control box, although they could be exchanged fairly easily) for the diabolical cost of £365. I am acutely aware that parts for Japanese cars can be expensive, its one of the prices (excuse the pun) of having Japanese reliability etc., but that is not expensive, that is usury. I asked quite loudly for a justification of this cost, which nobody in the dealership was prepared to do, including the branch manager who quickly scuttled back into his office.

So does anyone on this forum know where I can locate the part I need, used or otherwise (except Toyota themselves)? I would really be very much obliged.  As I said at the start I would look in the club parts listing, but can't find it now.

This is to return before the end of the year. We had lots of problems when we did a software update. All fixed, just reimplementation to happen.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links