Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo engine whirring noise

Magic123029

My aygo (2006) makes this exact same whirring ticking noise as the video (bad at 5 seconds) its on 55k mileage had mixed things saying tensioner/pulley, alternator, cam chain tensioner or tappets, i havnt had this long, its had an oil change the rubber around air filter is a lil mangled and going to change sparkplugs? A couple of people also said tappets? Only does it when engines under load and doesnt do it when revved? My last car of 4months blew up on me so cant afford if this goes.... https://youtu.be/8HNl7nbIaVU

• 1 month later...

Hi Magic123028.........I think a lot of folk have the exact same issue/worry, My Aygo has done 131,000 and Ive just changed the timing chain and water pump and its made a difference but its not perfect. It only does it when the engine is cold and not noticeable if I drive gently until its warmed up. What oil do you use? I use 0w-20 which is quite thin so even when cold will get round the engine quite quickly.....I always change the oil filters and plugs every 4 months as i do relatively high mileage.........it could be the plug gap (don't assume they are set correct straight out the box) and could easily be a tiny pin hole of a leak from exhaust manifold ........I don't think we'll ever get a definitive answer to this 😉

Possible the manifold, as i need to do mine.

My symptoms include when revved and moving, it has a ticking noise, but its not the engine, as we have checked that side of things.

We then found a carbon build up on the manifold the other day, so it virtually rounds it down to that.

Relatively cheap to replace too, at around £80 for a new one, that is cheap for a Manivertor

Worth checking...

Its usually piston slap with the 1KR-FE engines. They are notoriously bad for it. Mine does it, and I know its not the manifold because I have had 3 different ones now, during the process of decatting.

You have a nice comment describing the issue in that video you posted, if the problem is not there once warm i would not worry much about it.

Cold weather brings a lot of weird noises.

Every Aygo I have driven has this noise when cold, it sounds like piston slap. The pistons are very short to save weight so liable to rattle until they've heated up. Toyota have coated the pistons in a special slippy finish so must have been aware of it. Personally I think it's lack of quality control with matching the pistons and liners!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links