Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Warranty

Got a Toyota Rav 4 in Dec 2014 and a Yaris Hybrid at the same time for my wife, Yaris needed new discs after 18000 miles and my Rav 4 after about 26000, just changed the rear discs on my Rav 4 and noticed the (NEW) front discs need changing again (49000miles), fed up with Toyota (we don't actually fix anything under the warranty), needless to say they won't be Toyota discs or pads, we got rid of the yaris when the PCP ran out, didn't even consider buying it for one minute!

Over the years I've probably had about 20 or more cars including numerous company cars, I've only EVER changed one set of discs and that was because I drove through a 2 foot flood and one of them warped (BIG CAR - VW Sharan)!

Anyone else seeing this of the same opinion ie; NEVER EVER WILL I BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA CAR (and that's without all the faulty parts recalls!) They seem to be using cheap rubbish parts (I've told the dealer manager this is my opinion) and are then surprised when they all go wrong, over the past 5 years they have probably had 500,000 recalls because of it, you would think they would learn from their mistakes!

Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota. 

Toyota do not visit the club.

Really the above post has been wasted, as it won't be seen by Toyota who are the organisation you need to be speaking to.

• Like 1

Everyone's experiences and expectations will be different regarding car reliability and value of warranty.  Wear and tear obviously not covered and pads/discs are very much dependent on how you drive.  My 2014 Yaris (non hybrid) did nearly 40k before selling it without needing new discs.  My auris tourer only 28k but that's probably because I don't drive it as nicely as I should!!!

Toyota have provided the best warranty care/cover on my cars over last 6-7 years of any manufacturer I have ever owned.  Things replaced proactively, potential problems corrected before they go wrong, things covered by warranty long after I expected them to 'worm' their way out.  Would have no hesitation recommending Toyota in terms of after sale care although I appreciate my dealership may be one of the better/more supportive ones. 

Maybe some things that have gone wrong on my cars shouldn't have done in an ideal world.  However, the fact Toyota have held their hands up and put them right gives me faith in the company - when compared with many others.  Also, many of the parts will likely be exactly the same on other makes anyway, will they be as/any more supportive?!

I would never buy anything else apart from Lexus which are also top notch. Had a vw never again, Toyota will always be open and honest if they have a fault and recall and fix free of charge unlike VW who cover things up, Vauxhall know they have probs but do nothing, bmw as well and you have to pay to sort yourself !  we all have different opinions.

• Like 2

I must add I have personally been very impressed with Toyota over the last 3 years since owning one of their cars. Tbh at moment I wouldn’t consider buying anything else. They have always been honest and upfront and fixed things under warranty (nothing major may I add) without much of a quibble.

• Like 1

My 2013 Yaris Hybrid has done 67000 miles so far and from the existing wear I imagine another 67000 is capable on the same discs.

I have had 2 warranty claims, one for an aircon condenser leak and one for a Touch and go update - no quibbles and I was (and am) very happy, so much so that I extended the warranty to around 85000 miles for around £350 for 2 years. Compare the price to that of other manufacturer's hybrids and EV - usually £700 + per year to extend.

• Like 1

Hi from Paul ; have had 4 rav 4s and nothing but great service from them  ; would buy another tomorrow if i could afford it...old recalls done fine on my present 12 year old which i love.

Always found local Toyota perfectly fair and honest ...Agree with Grumpy and you can add Ford to list as far as i,m concerned...

Personally i think you'll end up paying ample whether you buy old or new.....Cheers..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Guest said:

Over the years I've probably had about 20 or more cars including numerous company cars, I've only EVER changed one set of discs and that was because I drove through a 2 foot flood and one of them warped (BIG CAR - VW Sharan)!

When they outlawed the use of asbestos in disc pads the life of discs came down as replacement materials are harder. https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/service-repair/brakes-discs-drums-pads.

Fronts typically need replacing before rears but on hybrids often the rears need replacing early because they do so little friction braking that corrosion often isn't removed & gets a good grip.

I have found Toyota much better than either Ford, Vauxhall, Mazda & Volvo as regards recalls & warranty issues. Anecdotally they are the best of the big manufacturers at standing behind their warranty. Of course it helps to have a good dealer & there is always the odd one that doesn't meet the standards of the others.

p.s. I didn't know that you could have guest posts on this forum?

1 hour ago, Heidfirst said:

I didn't know that you could have guest posts on this forum?

Normally the ability to start a new topic or post isn't available until one registers with the club. The OP originally registered under a specific username. Don't know what they've done since to have the topic seeming to be posted as a guest.

The post was from a named member initially and changed to guest later - very strange. 

If you read any car forum, there's  issues raised regularly about poor life of discs / pads and responses from others who've experienced much better lifetime. This reinforces the fact that there are several factors that influence the longevity of brake parts. There's no argument that some cars are generally very heavy on pads / discs but there's a host of things that drivers can do to maximise brake component life.

Brake parts are a good source of regular income to dealers and car manufacturers. Every second or third time a car is presented for servicing - you're bound to get a call that pads / discs are worn and advising replacement, and often it's convenient just to get the job done at this time. The majority of car manufacturer brake parts are, however, expensive compared to aftermarket. There's several brake part brands that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole and, personally, I'd never fit anything except Brembo or Pagid  - both are at least as good as car manufacturers parts and both are original fitment by many car manufacturers. A set of Brembo pads and discs, front and rear, fitted by an indie would save you around £200 compared to taking your Rav4 to a dealer. The Block Exemption Regulations etc allow this to be done without compromising any car warranty. (Pre Brexit at least!)

Warranty performance is as much down to individual dealers as the manufacturer. I don't know details of Toyota, but many dealers are unhappy about manufacturer reimbursement for warranty work - particularly when diagnostic work is involved and this is bound to affect their performance. 

I have an extended warranty on our Rav and have just recently extended again. The Rav is now 11 years old and just before Christmas it was driving rubbish and the lights came on check VSC and check 4X4 took it in and they replaced the EGR valve and something else. The cost of the warranty was £510 for 2 years so can’t really grumble. I don’t think they cover brakes though because it’s wear and tear

I'm always surprised when people complain about the number of recalls carried out by Toyota. All car manufacturers make mistakes, and many of them deny it, but Toyota admit their faults and fix them for free. What's to complain about with that?

Contrast that with VW who are absolute masters at covering up their mistakes, usually until they are finally forced to carry out a recall by government. A classic example was the problem with piezo injectors in their TDi engines a few years ago. The emissions scandal is just the tip of the iceberg.