Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Very Poor Fuel Consumption

Danny1.2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

If you want to have your windshield clean from moisture do not use air con at all, just set the climate control to blow directly into the windscreen and in the footwell and turn the temperature to around 22c . Keep it that way and don’t use air con to speed up the process, most likely this is the reason why  you get mist on the windows. Car dehumidifier also helps a bit as some people already suggested. 

Regards 

if you want your windscreen to clear quickly then please do use the aircon set to windscreen and use recirc for the 1st few minutes

with the fan speed set to high. Aircon removes moisture from the air this in turn provides dry air in the car hence the use of aircon

for demisting the windscreen is recommended.

Using a air con to clean the window fast introduces a dry air into the windshield and through the vent hoses which helps to clean quickly no doubt, but switching back to heating only afterwards will create a moisture inside the system and then this humid goes straight into the windscreen and makes it worst. I recommend to anyone to try using both ways and see which one works better, for me personally I use my way without air con and never have any moisture problems. 

Regards 👍

We've had air conditioning in both cars since 1998 (13 new cars) and have used the RAC method since without issues. We now leave the air con on all the time.

i personally leave the aircon on all the time but if you dont want to have the aircon all the time

you just need to watch the bottom of the windscreen and as soon as you see some misting

put the aircon back on for a few seconds and you'll be all clear again.

my top tip to help preventing misting in the morning is dont have a hot drink just

before you leave as your hot breathe will cause misting

• 1 year later...

Just bought a used Auris 1.2 T with CVT and it has bad gas mileage compared to other non turbo small cars like Mazda 3.  I am using 8lit per 100km in mixed driving. My bigger Mazda CX5 gives better mileage than that, around 7,6-7,8 lit per 100km. Bad Toyota.

First of all do you need to update your profile from the 2008 Aygo.

Your fuel consumption equates to 35.3mpg (UK gallons). 

What consumption figures are you using for the Mazda 3 - the official EU figures or something else?

The 1.2t has a turbo, so ideally should be compared to other turbocharged cars like the Hyundai i30 1.0t

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

First of all do you need to update your profile from the 2008 Aygo.

Yes, will do but will also retain the Aygo since it is still in the family (the son has it now and I still get to play with it)

Your fuel consumption equates to 35.3mpg (UK gallons). 

The official figure is 49-59 mpg! I'll include the reference page link below.

What consumption figures are you using for the Mazda 3 - the official EU figures or something else?

The real day to day comparison was with my own Mazda CX5 with 2.0 lit non turbo engine, a far more efficient engine with real life combined cycle consumption of 7,8li/100km. The mazda 3 has the same downgraded engine and expect it to have even better figures than CX5 being a smaller car.

The 1.2t has a turbo, so ideally should be compared to other turbocharged cars like the Hyundai i30 1.0t

Agreed that it probably boils down to small turbo engines being inefficient and that applies to Auris 1.2T also.

But the biggest But is why are there false official figures for these engines quoted by the manufacturers that are off by 40% at least. The quoted figure of 4.8lit/100km for combined cycle for Auris 1.2T is way off the more than 8lit/100km in real life. Toyota is not the only culprit here but we expect more from Toyota. Among all the cars that I have owned before (many Toyotas, BMW and now Mazda), I feel Mazda's official figures are much nearer to truth.

REF.

https://motoreu.com/toyota-auris-1.2-t-mpg-fuel-consumption-technical-specifications-34047

The fuel consumption figures quoted are using the old NEDC testing regime, which had become unreliable, often very optimistic, and did not represent fuel consumption in the real world. This applied across the majority of manufacturers, not just Toyota.

From September 2018, new models had to be tested against revised testing standards called WLTP, which supposedly provide a truer reflection of real world consumption.

Both types of test are only intended to provide a standardised comparison between models. They are laboratory based tests and do not accurately reflect the consumption that owners will achieve.

Legally manufacturers and dealers have to use the official figures, and there is always a disclaimer that the figures do not represent real world driving.

Ready to revise the fuel consumption figures after having driven 250km today.

As I had mentioned earlier we were getting terrible figures for the past three weeks on this Auris 1.2 turbo CVT 2016 model since we bought it on the 14th of October. Before I started on this journey today, I added a bottle of STP injector cleaner (previously considered as snake oil by me, but I was desperate) after filling up the tank. The first 40 min of the journey did not see much change in milage but after that the average figure started dropping from 8.2 to 5.8 lit/100km as I came to my destination. The speed was between 90 to 110km/hour with few overtaking on the highway. The road was a mixture of mostly A class roads and some highway by UK standard. Was the improvement due to snake oil or the warm engine, I will never know. But I am happy.

Most of the quality additives works and if they don’t that means you had never needed one and not because it’s a snake oil. 1.2 with cvt it’s  not the most efficient combination especially in town driving, motorway relaxed driving may improve a lot. For the injector cleaners they does improve the fuel quality too so you may feel some difference in performance too. 👍 8/100 not bad for petrol automatic in town. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links