Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch replacement cost

orangepeel105

Hi all,

I own a 2011 Aygo (998 cc).  I've had some problems with the clutch clanking when depressed and slight juddering when pulling away in first gear.  I've been advised by the Toyota dealership that I need a replacement clutch and flywheel at a cost of £950.  However, I called Mr Clutch for a quote and they told me that my model doesn't have a Dual Mass Flywheel so it won't need replacing, and have quoted me £390 for the clutch replacement.

Can anyone help advise as to what I should go with, as I'm completely clueless about cars and don't want to get ripped off - would the flywheel definitely need doing?

Go with Mr. Clutch, Toyota dealership are talking out of their **** and should be ashamed 🤬

Thank you.  So the flywheel shouldn't need replacing?  I'm also a bit annoyed as I had the car serviced at the same dealership only two weeks ago, which supposedly included a check of the clutch,  only now a couple of hundred miles later they're telling me it shouldn't even be driven.

My clutch clanks on release and has done so for the the last 15,000 miles. I've got AA cover, so I'm not fussed if it does fail. Only then will I be replacing it. I think you should get a second or third opinion from non Toyota dealers, before splashing out on a new clutch. How many miles on the clock?

Mine has 70k on the clock.  I am going to speak to Mr Clutch again tomorrow and tell them that Toyota have recommended a new flywheel and ask if that sounds realistic.  Thanks for your help 

The flywheel usually only needs replacing if the clutch has worn down to the rivets and scored the face of the flywheel. As yours isn't slipping, I doubt if it's worn that far.

• Like 1

Hi,

I know some owners whose clutch failed. Toyota always recommended to replace everything, including the gearbox, sometimes. In some cases, repairs cost a third or half the value of the car. None had the repairs done in a Toyota dealership because their quotations were ridiculously high, especially if you consider the price of the spare parts that need replacing.

I would ask quotations in small garages.

16 hours ago, fordulike said:

The flywheel usually only needs replacing if the clutch has worn down to the rivets and scored the face of the flywheel. As yours isn't slipping, I doubt if it's worn that far.

As David stated, unless the flywheel has been damaged by the clutch rivets, this should be a clutch only job. The flywheel is standard - 'Not' dual mass flywheel. Also remember, this should be cheap since the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 are the same car.  Parts should be inexpensive. 
I did a quick search and found this - https://clutch-repair.co.uk/2018/09/18/clutch-fault-c1-aygo-107/
Ask for the old parts when the job is done. This will tell you what the condition of the clutch. I did when my Avensis was done last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have heard that when replacing the clutch plate it is well worth upgrading it to a Yaris clutch plate which is heavier duty and lasts a lot longer.......its a straight swap I believe...... Mine had one fitted just before I bought the car and Ive done 101k since then with no issues......

And like 007matt suggested, get a quote from a local mobile mechanic ........they don't have many overheads, totally rely on repeat work/recommendations/reputation and usually get the job done a whole lot cheaper and quicker........

1 hour ago, Colin J.S said:

I have heard that when replacing the clutch plate it is well worth upgrading it to a Yaris clutch plate which is heavier duty and lasts a lot longer

The Yaris clutch was a standard production fitment from early 2009 - so the OP's 2011 Aygo will already have the larger Yaris clutch.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just had the clutch done on my 2015 Aygo with 77k on the clock. Had it done at a local garage in york, not sure whether I’m ok to say the name but it was York Auto Services, £360 fitted including VAT, not as bad as I thought 😀

• Like 2

Hi

I paid 55.00 for the clutch kit for my 2008 model, and assisted a friend mechanic to help fit it at home kerb side.

180 all in

280 if you count I bought a replacement gear box

• Like 1

Sounds like you got a good deal on the gearbox, was that because you picked it up?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

Sounds like you got a good deal on the gearbox, was that because you picked it up?

Super deal. Yes I did actually. Looked as good as new and once fitted drives like new. Purchased from a car breakers in Birmingham. Very helpful people. Via eBay delivered cost 175.00. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, David McMullan said:

Just had the clutch done on my 2015 Aygo with 77k on the clock.

How did it happen, please?

Did you notice that the disc felt slippy and changed it preventively? or did it fail suddenly and immobilized the car?

• 1 year later...

Looks like I need a new clutch on my 2014 Aygo. I can't get it into 1st gear and even 2nd gear at times. My car has done 33,000 miles. Has anyone any idea how much this will cost me at a local garage please?

If it shudders a bit in first but still driving away well ... and not revving high when you want to speed up (slipping / lot of revs but no extra power), you could also consider to get a breakdown service affiliation and just drive on with it until it breaks or wears out more.

I think you should only talk or think about urgent clutch replacement if your car has trouble driving off, slipping : lot of revs, little movement.
Or of course when the thing breaks down in a way that you can't move a single inch.

I too have had the jivvering a bit on a Fiat, even from new. Dealer told me it's a common thing on that type.
I just drove it, almost for ever and it didn't break down.

Adjust the clutch cable ?? 2014 is a late mk1 or early mk2 ?? price 450-650 depending where you are anything up to £1000 at a main stealer, for a 2014 33k seem low miles for a clutch to go

• Like 1

One thing that can be said about the clutch adjustment : I didn't manage to do it without building out the Battery box.. just by hand. There is a big screw where a pin goes through and that is difficult to handle , far away and behind a corner. Try to feel it, you will know what I mean.

I asked my dealer's mechanic if they did it without building out the Battery box etc..
His answer was : we never do it at all..

Damn ... this should be checked and done regularly at yearly maintenance.
Pity to pay 250 euros for maintenance yearly if they don't check or adjust such an important thing (on THIS particular model)..

On my Aygo, from new, the biting point was at an absolute high and the second gear always seemed to make noises when it was cold.
Should be adjusted to less high biting point so it can go off for a few years and you don't have to build out the Battery tray every year.  Then maintenance is getting too expensive.

• Like 1

Same with our 19 plate Aygo, really high biting point, took it to my local place and he had to take Battery tray out to get to adjust it.

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, haelewyn said:

One thing that can be said about the clutch adjustment : I didn't manage to do it without building out the battery box.. just by hand. There is a big screw where a pin goes through and that is difficult to handle , far away and behind a corner. Try to feel it, you will know what I mean.

I asked my dealer's mechanic if they did it without building out the battery box etc..
His answer was : we never do it at all..

Damn ... this should be checked and done regularly at yearly maintenance.
Pity to pay 250 euros for maintenance yearly if they don't check or adjust such an important thing (on THIS particular model)..

On my Aygo, from new, the biting point was at an absolute high and the second gear always seemed to make noises when it was cold.
Should be adjusted to less high biting point so it can go off for a few years and you don't have to build out the battery tray every year.  Then maintenance is getting too expensive.

Hi, my local garage told me that after adjustment to the clutch cable, it’s not long before you need a new clutch so there view was a bit pointless in adjusting the clutch as it seems to wear out quicker after clutch adjustment.

Many other views say the yearly setting of the cable avoids from having to buy a new clutch. My aygo2 clutch cable surely needed adjusting from new and even more after one year in service , less than 7000 miles.

I am afraid I don't agree with them for the aygo clutch cable setting.