Do Not Sell My Personal Information

servicing rear epb calipers

biggun

Hi there,  I am asking for a little advice if anyone has any experience of this subject.

I have just changed my car for a 67 plate Avensis 2.0 ltr D4D and would like to take off my rear callipers so that I can free the pads and clean and paint the callipers.

I've had a look and see that the EPB (electric parking brake) has a Bowden cable and a spring connected to the calliper, can I remove these whilst the hand brake is in the released position, then remove the calliper.

(The pads are still nice and thick) so I will not be putting new pads in, so I won't be altering the piston position in the calliper .  Do I have to have the EPB re-programmed after putting everything back?

Many thanks for any advice on this.   :unsure:  

Your car has a service mode, as detailed in your owners handbook. This service mode leaves the parking brake off until the work is finished. You can do the work you need to do.   

Thanks a lot Konrad for replying so quick,

I cannot find anything in my owner's manual about a "service mode", but I think I have found what you mean as there is a procedure for

leaving the EPB off when shutting down the engine, so I will do that and take off the spring and then disconnect the Bowden cable so that I can clean and paint the calliper

and free and lightly grease the pads.

Again many thanks for your speedy help on this.    Les  :biggrin:

I would like to wish you and your family      A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.