Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Horns?

saab9002

The horn on my iq3 is to be honest pathetic, is there any recommendations for air horns I would want a straight forward fix without stripping out the front of the car.

regards Chris

The horn is behind the front bumper, so if you want a straight swap you'll have to remove it. I have a Stebel Nautilus fitted which is a compact air horn. It is loud though so don't let the size put you off. But any air horn will need wiring in through a relay as they draw a lot more current than the standard horn. Not much room to fit a separate compressor/trumpet air horn.

Bumper comes off dead easy. 

There are about 6 bolts I think, 10mm head, under the bottom lip of the bumper that hold the little black splash guard things in front of the wheels, remove those. 

Under the bonnet lip there are 6 or 8 plastic clips. You lift the centre up a bit with a screwdriver then the whole plug will pull out. 

The edges of the bumper just clip to the wing panel near the head light. Carefully ease them away and the bumper will unclip. 

That is it. You may want a mat / blanket on the floor in front of the car so you can put it down once removed. You may need to unplug the fog lights if you have them fitted. 

I can get the bumper off my car in ten minutes tops.

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

The weather has clamped down, down south and we're not used to it😖.

When it stops or if it stops raining, I'll have a go.

Can I just "unplug" the original horn and plug in something like a Stebel Nautilus straight in, bolted down first of course?

regards Chris

Have a look at the second post in my car thread...

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/134890-an-iq-called-toya/?page=11

I fitted twin tone horns to my car and fed them both from the original single wire via a small splitter cable I made. So far they have been fine with no blown fuses. If you plan something with more power consumption you may find the fuse blows straight away so would need to fit a relay and supply from a heavier duty 12v supply.

Craig.

The Stebel Nautilus draws 18 amps the originals 3.5 amps each. You  can get away with FIAMM AM80 twin tones (Freeway Blaster in USA) which each draw 4 amps any higher and you are pushing what the horn cables are rated at. Not as loud as the Stebel but about as good as you can get without going to air horns and relay.

Hella's and Bosch are overrated and not as loud as FIAMMs. Don't be tempted by any Chinese make, there are plenty of look alikes out there they don't last long. Make sure it is stamped either FIAMM or Stebel.

It's better to use spade connectors with insulated covers or put shrink wrap over the connectors and use some ACF50 grease or something like Waxol. It's pretty exposed to the weather and salt down there, keep the horns pointing down or nearly down or they will fill with water.

Thank you Craig and Phil, I know which way to go now 😊.

regards Chris

• 9 months later...

I haven’t heard Fiamm air-horns for a very long time. I thought that they might be illegal.

Wasn’t there a wolf-whistle ?  Very naughty , these days of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Craig and Phil,

I'm sure it's a stupid question but just bought the Fiamm AM80s, assuming there is only one wire and return going to the original horn, what would be the correct way to wire a pair, series or parallel?

regards Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 1:04 PM, craggle said:

Bumper comes off dead easy. 

You may need to unplug the fog lights if you have them fitted. 

I can get the bumper off my car in ten minutes tops.

Craig.

Well Craig, it took me about 30mins to get the bumper off, since it was first time I was a little nervous🤔about unclipping the bumper to the wings without damage but once one side was off I could see how it fitted together.

I repaired the  broken fog light bracket with gorilla glue and while it was going off made the wiring and fitted the new horns, you're not joking ,there is very little room for anything slightly bigger than the original. All done and tested.

You forgot to mention how long to get the bumper back😉😁.

Thanks again for all your help everyone.

regards Chris

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 8:30 PM, Sally190 said:

I haven’t heard Fiamm air-horns for a very long time. I thought that they might be illegal.

Wasn’t there a wolf-whistle ?  Very naughty , these days of course.

Anything more than a single tone IS illegal, several different tones sounded together IS legal, so Wolf-Whistle is not legal.

As a note to taking the front bumper/bodywork (hardly a bumper these days) off. Fiamm's AM80 and similar can be fed down from the top between the rad. Keyhole surgeons should have no trouble!  Fiddly but possible.