Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8/Multidrive S - auto reliable?

arnold65

Hi,

I'm looking at post facelift 2013 Avensis 2012 1.8 Multidrive S, and wondering if the Multidrive S auto boxes are reliable long-term?

Cheers!

Yes, they seem to be very reliable but very expensive to repair if they do go wrong out of warranty.

What sort of mileage were you thinking of running it to?

My current Auris 2009 valvematic has done 120k no problems, so at least that. 

yeah, I was thinking more of 150K+. You can always extend the warranty too (assuing that it is within servicing/mileage constraints).

HonestJohn says that his favourite version of this car was the 1.8/Multidrive S combo & I can see why if doing a lot of urban work. Just don't pay a premium for the transmission - it doesn't keep the premium s/h that it added new.

I'd be very surprised if the Multidrive transmission is problematic even beyond 200k+  –  taxi drivers have been running the Prius and Auris hybrids to 400k, and speaking to several taxi drivers near me with them, have had no problems at all with the transmission - and my understanding is that the CVT in the Avensis is essentially the same as the hybrid one?

2 hours ago, arnold65 said:

I'd be very surprised if the Multidrive transmission is problematic even beyond 200k+  –  taxi drivers have been running the Prius and Auris hybrids to 400k, and speaking to several taxi drivers near me with them, have had no problems at all with the transmission - and my understanding is that the CVT in the Avensis is essentially the same as the hybrid one?

I am fairly certain that they are different transmissions - the one used in the hybrids uses a planetary gear system rather than a cones & belt system (which I believe Multidrive S is).

Yes you are right, I had presumed Toyota just leveraged the hybrid epicyclic gearing in the Avensis, but the system in the Avensis appears to be one by Aisin, with belts, so I'm guessing the fail point in the Avensis-type CVT is going to be those belts at some point?

it's a metal belt afaik. Someone like Devon Aygo would probably know what the likely failures are (if any) & why. Tbh there seems to be very few reports of failure but it seems like the solution in many cases if they do go wrong is simply to replace the whole unit (hence high cost).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links