Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low mileage & high price vs. high mileage & low price

fesvgev

Hi All. 

Looking to buy an Avensis. I've found two which I like which are pretty much identical in many ways - same year (06, post facelift), same colour, same spec, both with a full Toyota service history, same engine (1.8 petrol) etc.

One of these has done 74k miles and is listed for £3k, the other has done 112k miles and is listed for £1.5k. Both are being sold by dealerships, the only real difference being the dealership selling the lower mileage car has got a much bigger base of positive reviews (not that this necessarily matters).

I'm struggling to decide which one to go for as both are within my budget, although more tempted by the cheaper one. What sort of things should I be thinking about / what would you recommend? I would get a mechanic to inspect either car before buying just in case, but both seem to be in great condition.

Thanks

To my mind the cheaper car would serve your purpose just as well as the more expensive one. 3 Grand is a lot of money for 06. I think them engine's had oil burning issue's, but somebody with a lot more knowledge of them on here will let u know . 112k ain't big miles in my opinion and that car wud be my choice I think. Good luck.

4 hours ago, Ant-Rav said:

3 Grand is a lot of money for 06. I think them engine's had oil burning issue's, but somebody with a lot more knowledge of them on here will let u know . 

A facelift shouldn't have.

I would have a look at them & condition. Look at service history, what has been replaced already & what expenditure (tyres, brake pads/discs etc. etc.) may be coming up shortly.

Personally I'd try to pick up a newer one, maybe an 08 plate, with about 60-70k miles for my £3k or less.

The cheaper car has averaged a little over 9000 miles per annum which is by no means excessive. But the more expensive one has only done just over 6,000 miles per year, a third less and potentially less wear and tear on all its components.

If all things were equal (and they're not!) then the more expensive car is likely to last longer, given it has fewer miles on the clock. As time goes by each car will move towards the "end of it's life" and its more likely the higher mileage car will reach that point sooner than the other one, perhaps by as much as 3 years?

Without having detailed knowledge of both cars I'd bet the more expensive car turns out to be a better bet. But it is also of course £1500 more to buy!

Good luck

Cheap cars, I have to say too! I can´t give any advice which to buy but my old T 25, 1.6 VVT-i (2004) has done 375 000 km (over 230000 miles) and still going!

The biggest repair was right front wheel bearing. Brake pads several times and discs twice.  Still, very cheap driving...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links